Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 10 months ago

Do apartments complexes have trouble leasing ADA units?

I recently came across an ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) apartment unit while apartment hunting. The unit featured 34 inch kitchen counters, bathtub rails, and wider doorways for handicap accessibility. The unit also features an attached garage, is located on the first floor in a safe neighborhood , and is most importantly within my price range. I myself am not disabled, but loved the unit nonetheless for hosting all the amenities I wanted. I am also 5’9” tall and figure 34 inch countertops or shower rails to not be an issue for me. The apartment is available now, but my parents are urging me not to take it. I plan on moving out in two months and don’t know how long the apartment will be available. Do apartment complexes have trouble leasing ADA units?

Favorite Answer

No if anything they get rented faster.

Think about it: The pool of possible tenants for the average unit is (for example) 100. If there are 50 people in that area that need the ADA unit that could not rent the average unit then the pool of possible tenants for the ADA unit goes to 150.

Pretty slim chance that any unit (ADA or not) you look at now will still be available in 2 months.

Landlords can rent an ADA unit to non handicapped people. A handicapped person would have no case to sue. ADA units are not the same as handicapped parking spaces. If the landlord only has 1 unit available and it happens to be an ADA unit they do not have to let it sit vacant until a disabled person puts in an application. They have every right to rent it to the 1st qualified applicant.

to the ignorant: under FHA, all new buildings must have some accessible units and other features...this has been law for a long time.

realize, if you take this unit, it won't be available for someone that really needs it. i could see a person with a disability suing if LLs are not making the units available to them.

if the LL ends up getting an applicant that needs it, likely you would have to move once you lease is expired.

and they aren't necessarily for people that need full wheelchair access, it could be for a person who can walk, but maybe not stand long to cook or wash dishes and has trouble getting in a regular tub

• Kaz

I would think they would be in demand, as (I thought) there aren't that many of them. If there are other apartments available - I'd choose one of them before I would rent a unit meant for some with disabilities.

That's kind of like parking in a disabled parking spot, when you are able bodied and just lazy. Just because the spot is empty at that moment - doesn't justify parking there - when someone who actually needs it might be looking for a handicapped space.

Not any more so than any other unit, but of course it depends on a variety of other factors such as location, rent and the general housing supply/demand of the area.

ADA modified units generally have more spacious kitchens and bathrooms which many able-bodied people can appreciate. People who ride bikes, have kids in strollers or who cart around groceries or work gear in a wheeled cart might appreciate an alternative to stairs. These rental units might be attractive to someone who is anticipating a temporary need for accessibility such as someone who is planning to have both hips or knees replaced.

• DEBS

I would assume that most people would like to have a different unit if it is available. Depending on your local housing market, that doesn't mean they would have difficulty renting it. Many markets are at 100% occupancy with a waiting list. Many other areas are not.