Should I associate with family who puts me down?

My mom’s side of the family puts me down. They tell me they were embarrassed of me at my high school graduation because I was just an honor graduate and not valedictorian. I have an October birthday and was on the older end of my class and some accused me of failing and wouldn’t even come to my graduation. When I... show more My mom’s side of the family puts me down. They tell me they were embarrassed of me at my high school graduation because I was just an honor graduate and not valedictorian. I have an October birthday and was on the older end of my class and some accused me of failing and wouldn’t even come to my graduation. When I earned my B.S., they wouldn’t even acknowledge it. I have a good job and they put that down and say I don’t make as much as my cousin. They always brag about what she makes in front of me ( she makes less, but I don’t say anything.) I recently bought a house and some are being hateful and putting me down, saying they don’t know how I can afford it. Every time I’m around these people, they make me feel bad. I have a need to earn their approval, but it never happens. I feel like I should just cut them off if they are going to treat me this way. Has anyone else had an experience like this?
10 answers 10