Sea
Lv 4
Sea asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

Is there anything I can do to help my dogs grieving process?

I'm giving him extra love & attention. He's become lethargic, nibbles when eating, normal water intake for activity. Isn't asking for as many treats, Whining low guttural noise, goes to her spot and looks sad. has brought me her toys but won't play at all right now.

Update:

Please don't answer my questions if you have me blocked.

Update 2:

Clarification: Foster dog grieving over the loss of my 14 yr, old canine

Update 3:

Thank you to everyone offering Answers of encouragement, support and sympathy, I appreciate it. It was difficult to Award Best Answer, as many of them where so heartfelt and genuine stories shared.

Things are going much better at this time and he enjoys intermittent playing, new games and reinforcement training and going outside randomly etc..

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Grieving who or what?

Just like us, we all grieve in different ways.

Try to do something special every day with the dog. Get out of the rut & don't waller in it. Get the mind on something else. Get him a couple of the interactive puzzles for dogs. Google interactive puzzles for dogs & then hit images at the top & you can see lots & lots of different ones.

• Katie7 months agoReport

Star, yes they can. That is an ignorant statement

• 8 months ago

My mom has a poor mix and her bf had a golden who were best friends together. The Golden died of cancer and not long later my mom's bf flipped out and was an *** he was anyways but this was his worst. He made her get out. My mom took her dog and split. Then her pooch got depressed and vet said only thing is to take her back to the bf's house. She explained that even if he doesn't really like her dog much he needed to try bc she was dying from broken heart physically. So he did and she picked up just from being there. Then he got a new golden pup and that made it even better for my mom's dog. So try it.

• Sea
      Lv 4
      7 months agoReport

Returning the dog isn't an option right now and the owner has been to visit. I appreciate that dogs do suffer heartache and loss, did and does miss the owner but is adjusting.

• 8 months ago

Dogs grieve. They do. That is plain to see. I would personally take him to the vet and get another opinion on what to do. Some people even though they are not ready, get another dog or animal to comfort. I know its hard as you have just lost your baby but thats what I had to do. Don't laugh when I say this but when my guinea pig died, I was not ready but because my second needed a friend and was sad, I got her one. It turned out great. I am so sorry for the loss of your dog and I personally know how that feels. Continue to try and if he starts losing weight or starts to not get up at all, get him to the vet.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

The dog needs a new owner. One who actually understands dog behavior and can do something about it.

• Sea
      Lv 4
      8 months agoReport

Thanks I'll run that by the owner anonoskipymouse.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Extra time and attention and activities. Extra treats.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

My Dad died and I took on his dog and it's BS what the idiots above say who obviously don't understand dogs - they do grieve. Maybe not in the same way, but his dog definitely noticed his absence. Not immediately but after a month she began whining, pacing, went off her food, just lost interest in everything.

The Vet did give me something for anxiety after a full check up and blood work. I found a dog pal for her to go out for walks in the park with. I gave her boredom breakers but tried to ignore the behaviour when she did and rewarded once she gave up.

It took a few months but it passed.

Last night I was throwing out some of my Dad's old clothes and found her lying in them. They still smelt of him.

• Sea
      Lv 4
      8 months agoReport

Thanks anon, dogs do have emotions. I can tell when he's bored or happy too.
      I know he missed his owner first, then his friend died, doesn't much like to be alone right now. We're together constantly.
      PS, trust me I don't let comments get to me, I actually get a good laugh at some.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

And when you took him to the Vet, the Vet said he is healthy and explained that dogs don't grieve, right?

• Sea
      Lv 4
      8 months agoReport

Thanks, they do grieve. These dogs bonded very quickly and he does miss her.

• 8 months ago

Take him for walks to get more exercise.

But here's another thing. NEVER act sympathetic to a dog that is upset. The dog interprets this as meaning that YOU, the person he depends on, are upset. And that makes it worse.

Attention is good, but sympathy is bad.

People often make this mistake because humans like to be condoled with; but dogs don't.

So act normal and cheerful around your dog and see if this doesn't make a difference.

• Sea
      Lv 4
      8 months agoReport

I have always sympathized and comforted my pets when they are sick or having trouble with anything, just like their Veterinarian does. I then, immediately after empathizing. give them a big hug, pat, rubdown and/or treat if appropriate.

• 8 months ago

I agree with getting a dog out and about if they are grieving and they do...however, are you unware of your dog's gender as you say it's a 'he' twice and then you say it is a 'her' twice.

• 8 months ago

Love, attention and time is what he needs. Eventually he will begin to adapt to the loss.

• Sea
      Lv 4
      7 months agoReport

I can't believe so many gave you a thumbs down. We made it, still have out moments, but have each other. This was difficult to return to reward BA. Thanks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.