Siva asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 months ago

How many countries does the US have military bases in?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

13 if your talking actual bases

South Korea, Japan, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, UAE, Beligum, Turkey, United kingdon, diego garcia, bahrain, greece

there are others that the US bases some personal at, but they are foreign bases and the amlount of US [personal is limited-- (5-50)

• Daniel
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Does Diego Garcia count as a country (it's a British possession)? If you are going to include the UAE, then you should include Kuwait and Qatar, too at least.

• 8 months ago

The United States of America has over 800 military bases worldwide while over 500 of them are in mainland America. They have American Military Bases in Japan, South Korea, Germany, Cuba, some in Vietnam, England, Spain, Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Thailand and France while most other American military bases are located in their homeland, which is the United States of America itself.

• 8 months ago

We maintain nearly 300 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories abroad. This includes USAF bases in the UK, as well as nearly all U.S. military forces in Germany, Italy, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Japan, South Korea, and others.

• 8 months ago

I only know of Germany and Korea.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

From Memory I will have an attempt to list all of them.

Europe First: England, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Spain,

Far East: Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Australia, Philippines.

Middle East: https://www.americansecurityproject.org/national-s...

• 8 months ago

quite a few...........ranging from large , major bases, to small little outposts.

• 8 months ago

Way too many.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the wisdom of having a projected force overseas. It minimizes the likelihood that we will be fighting foreign troops on American soil.

But we seem to have this proclivity for stationing troops overseas and never withdrawing them when the international situation changes and warrants withdrawal. So we have troops overseas based on WWII needs...and last I looked WWII ended a couple of years ago.

Why, for example, do we have troops in Guam? Who are they supposed to be deterring? Japan is no longer a threat and China would totally by-pass Guam and attack the US directly. Besides the few troops on Guam are hardly a match for the yellow hoards of China. And if N. Korea were to attack Guam, our necessary troops in S. Korea and the ROK troops would retaliate from South Korea.

And NATO, it's not clear that American troops stationed in NATO nations makes sense either. Maybe at the outset, when those nations were recovering from WWII destruction, but now most if not all those NATO nations are strong and can put their own military forces into the NATO organization. It's time that the Europeans shoulder more of their own defense responsibilities.

BTW, South Korea is one area where American troops are warranted. Kim is a kook and there's no telling what he might do.

• Daniel
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

The question wasn't about the intricacies of the military assignment system. The OP asked about 'countries.' Guam isn't a country. Why not just go completely on a tangent and talk about BRACing other bases in the US? As for the Marines, a lot of them account for a troop movement out of Okinawa.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

The United States still maintains nearly 800 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories abroad—from giant “Little Americas” to small radar facilities.

Source(s): Google search 2 seconds
  • 8 months ago

I believe it is all of them except North Korea

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.