Rick asked in PetsCats · 11 months ago

Is there a way to accurately assess a cats or dogs age?

We adopted a cat from a shelter and no one was able to tell us its exact age. I don't mean a date of birth but whether or not it is a year old or three years old or ten for that matter.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

Your vet. Why haven't you taken it to one to be checked out? The vet can estimate the age based on the teeth but it's only an ESTIMATE of age. I recently lost my 22 year, 7 month old cat and my vet said her teeth were still as clean and healthy as a 5 year old cat!

But "accurately"? No. They're no magical number imprinted on cats. You would have to have either a breeder slip with the birthdate on it or had a friend who had kittens so obviously they know the birthdate.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

The vet should be able to give you rough estimate based on a few criteria. They won't be able to tell you the exact age for sure, but should be able to know whether you have a young cat, a middle aged cat, or a very old cat.

Here are some things a vet may look at to determine the rough age:

Teeth - Just like humans, cats build up tarter when they eat. Looking at dental health and the amount of tarter can give a rough idea how long the cat has been alive for.

Eyes - Older cats often start to develop cataracts, and the eyes will begin to appear slightly cloudy in middle age. Vets have a special tool that can help them examine a cat's eyes to look for this.

Blood and Overall health - as a cat ages, their health deteriorates slowly. Old cats will almost always have several chronic health problems, and middle aged cats may be starting to show one or two. A vet's check up should reveal any of these, which may give clues.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Up to the first few years, vets can be more accurate in the animals age due to the teeth. However, after that its a guess as to the closest age. Usually worn down teeth mean older, but depending on the animal and care before, a young animal may have pre-worned teeth or other teeth problems.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

I think a vet could tell you, they usuallly look at the cat's teeth.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

When you adopt the dog or cat, take him/her to the vet for an initial checkup. The vet has lots of experience in estimating the age of dogs and cats.

• 11 months ago

Just as I can not think of a way to determine the age of a human by just looking at it, so it is just as difficult to determine the age of pet. If it is still a kitten or is a senior, you might be able to tell. Just as you can with a human. But between the ages of about 2 to 10, good luck figuring it out.

Your vet may be able to give you some idea by looking at things like their fat ratio (as pets gain more fat as they age like humans), the clarity of their retinas in their eyes. Their teeth. Etc. The vet may be able to put it within 2 or 3 years for you.

But no, there is no quick and easy way to tell a cat's age.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

just ask her and being a female she will probably lie

• 11 months ago

Body shape and fat, lens clarity, coat color & texture, teeth, and YEARS of experience.

The fact is, dogs are really, really hard to age between the ages of about 2 and 8 calendar years. The range is even greater for small breed dogs because they reach maturity faster and age slower than larger dogs. An adult dog is at the stage in his or her life where he or she doesn’t age visibly, quite unlike the rapid changes you see as a dog transitions from puppy to adult, or adult to senior.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.