How to deal with someone who keeps a running commentary of her life with me?

About 6-8 times a day, this ex coworker emails me everything (she lives in another city now with a new job). If it s not the date of her mother s death, it s her step-daughter having a breakdown or her daughter is on her second cycle of treatment this week or her son s dad s 60th birthday and on and on it goes. Now her son s gf has lost the baby and they re also trying to get a mortgage. It drives me nuts. Any ideas why she s like this and what to do?

Update:

She has a big family, sarah, and a partner unlike me.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I also know someone who goes into detail about other people's lives. She endlessly talks about people I will never meet and do not even care about. It is so boring to listen to her go on and on about other people's life-drama.

I finally had enough and told her "No offense to those you talk about, but their lives are of no interest or consequence to me. Perhaps you should reserve your comments about their lives to those who know them." At first, she was offended but that, to me, was irrelevant because I was being offended FIRST by being subjected to all of the mindless gossip and chitter chatter of strangers lives.

I did have to remind her from time to time to stop talking about those people. After time, I realized our conversations got shorter and shorter because she had nothing to say when she was not minding other people's business. I also thought that if she is blabbing everyone else's private details of their lives, she is most likely talking their ears off about my life. SO, I stopped sharing personal details of my life and just talked about my gardening, what I cooked for dinner, and other non-personal things.

As time went on, we talked less and less. I realized that some people are in your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

you could try giving her a taste of her own rnedicine and do the sarne thing and see how she likes it

• Jerry
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Tell her you wish had time to read everything she sends you and suggest that she is a wonderful writer and will enjoy and benefit from joining a writers' group and trying out her writing skills on others. But you just don't have time to do all that reading, so please send you fewer messages, shorter messages so you don't end up deleting them without reading them.

• sarah
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Sounds like she just needs a friend. You may suggest going on face book they can and do that everyday on there. they take pictures of what they had for dinner.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Gert
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Block her.

• g
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Seriously. Emailing at work with this blather? Stop respinding and/or block her.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

That's a lot of emails to get all the time. Take your time to email her and don't make any comment to anything she told you. Just write about yourself, make it really boring.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.