My dog died last night in my arms, can someone give me insight?

Hi my dog Panda who is 10 years old died suddenly. (Maltese-shihtzu) It wasn’t a nice death at all, she was eating and playing fine just hours before. But she was then restless and breathing was limited, like gasping for air. She was in my lap still gasping for air very badly, then all of a sudden started to calm... show more Hi my dog Panda who is 10 years old died suddenly. (Maltese-shihtzu)
It wasn’t a nice death at all, she was eating and playing fine just hours before. But she was then restless and breathing was limited, like gasping for air.
She was in my lap still gasping for air very badly, then all of a sudden started to calm and make weird unpleasant noises. I was hysterical telling my boyfriend to go go go (this dog lives with my mum as it’s hers but I grew up with it).
Anyways so Panda went limp, having restricted gasps here’s and there. I knew this was it as blood and foamy stuff started to come from her mouth and nose. We got to the 24/7 vet and she was gone.

They said she had heart disease, and a sudden heart attack. Fluid was built up in her organs, abdomen. This was so painful for me to see I never seen any death before.
When she was nearing death on my arms why did blood and foam ooze out of her nose and mouth? It’s like her body completely lost control after she couldn’t breathe.

Can anyone give me some insight about this disease and how it could’ve progressed to this point. Closure for me is having the best understanding of a situation.

Thank you