Puppy beaten to death?

My friends 6 month old husky puppy escaped their yard and went into their neighbors yard. Then the adult son (27 year old) of that house beat the puppy to death in the head with a hammer. Then dumped the puppies body on their front porch for my friend and her young siblings to see the mutilated dog. THE COPS SAY... show more My friends 6 month old husky puppy escaped their yard and went into their neighbors yard. Then the adult son (27 year old) of that house beat the puppy to death in the head with a hammer. Then dumped the puppies body on their front porch for my friend and her young siblings to see the mutilated dog.
THE COPS SAY THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING!!! I thought animal abuse was a criminal offense?
We have a posted this post all over facebook and are just trying to seek justice for this poor baby!
Update: I just want to know what we can do at this point. I have been in tears for these past 2 days, I want justice.