Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

Rehoming a 6 month old puppy?

How hard is it on a puppy to be rehomed?? The reason I have to rehome her is because I don’t have the time and she stresses my other two dogs out (her parents); they run and sit by me when she comes near them. I tried to keep her because I didn’t want her going to just anyone and I thought it wouldn’t be that bad but she is very difficult and different than any other dog I have ever raised and i don’t think it’s fair to her that I cannot give her the love she needs & I know the couple she is going to very well. Should I feel bad and does this make me a bad person :(

6 Answers

Relevance
  • PR
    Lv 7
    9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

At age six months, the dog will adjust, and you do not need to feel bad about this. Even if the dog were age three, she would adjust. We just went through this with a one year old dog, and the dog was also not like our other dogs, either. This dog was very active and wanted to chase and likely kill our cats. We just could not keep the dog.

You should not feel bad. It sounds like you were trying to protect the dog in the first place. If you know the people, then that is good. Let them know that if they find they cannot keep the dog, you would like them to take her to an animal rescue league, or contact you.

If you find these people cannot take the dog, then contact an animal rescue league who can help find a home and will interview anyone interested in adopting her. These groups are known for being very thorough in looking at anyone interested in adopting an animal. They look at the lifestyle of the people interested, as well as records on how they have cared for previous pets. You can find these groups by going to your pet supply store on the weekend and bringing the dog with you. Seek out the rescue groups showing their pets there, and plead for help. DO NOT call them, because they will say they are full and cannot help. They need to see the dog and then feel sorry for the dog and what is happening.

I will repeat: If you call, text, or email a rescue league, 95% of the time they will tell you they cannot help you. You need to go in person with the animal.

In the meantime, keep the pup in a cage to give the other dogs a break. They are likely jealous and have not adjusted to her presence. If a rescue league offers to allow you to be the puppy's "foster" while they find a home for her, try that if you can. Any help a rescue league can offer is help, and much better than a shelter where you just never know what will happen. It is also better than you rehoming on your own, because they have experience. BUT, if you want to to it on your own, ask for vet references, and go to their home to see where the dog will live. But, people are very good at misleading others, so using a rescue league is better.

The dog will be fine, and likely better than what you are experiencing right now in worrying and in trying to adjust your life to having a dog who is not working out for you.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

it isn't that traumatic for the puppy. They adjust to new owners and homes pretty quick.

• J M
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Why are you worried now? Personally, I think people who get a dog and try to dump them because they "don't have the time" are irresponsible.

Contact a rescue.

• 9 months ago

Of course you can. Normally it would be a return to breeder situation, but if this is a puppy you bred and 'ran on', that's out of the question. Although normally when we select one, or two (or on one occasion 3) puppies to keep from our occasional litters, they stay with us, we have had to home twice - one after a later litter from a sister produced 2 puppies who were better, quality-wise, than the one from the sister. I homed her at around 6 months. At the time, our numbers didn't allow any more 'passengers'. The second I had to home at around 2 after he started challenging his uncle, resulting in increasingly more serious fighting. He was one of an all-male litter, and it hurt to part with him but we found a super home for him and peace returned to our small pack. I left it a few months before we went to check all was well with him and it was.... in fact he acknowledged us on arrival, but went back to playing with his two companions. He was happy as Larry. And it was the right thing to do.

It might be worth considering getting her spayed before you part with her BUT if you know the people she's going to, that could wait until she's a bit older.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

Be careful - A Virginia man pleaded guilty to TORTURING a dog named Lucky, whom he obtained for free from someone who posted on CRAIGSLIST. He admitted to punching the dog, tying her legs together, muzzling her, and setting her on fire while she was still alive.

A Nevada man named Jason Brown pleaded no contest to TORTURING AND DISMEMBERING dogs he had obtained via CRAIGSLIST postings. Police allegedly found the heads of four dogs stashed inside a mini-refrigerator in a hotel room where he had apparently been staying, and they found video footage showing dogs who were tortured and skinned. According to reports, in one recording, Brown allegedly told his friends that he was going to take the dogs to his “house of pain” and that little white Chihuahuas were his favorite victims.

When a SWAT team raided Jeffrey Nally Jr.’s home, it was like a scene from a nightmare. He was reportedly holding his girlfriend captive and forcing her to watch as he used tools to TORTURE, MUTILATE, and kill more than two dozen dogs, many of them puppies, whom he had obtained through newspaper ads offering them “free to a good home” or for just a few dollars. Authorities found dogs’ remains buried and wrapped in plastic, a dog whose neck had been broken, and a dog’s eyeballs in a Mason jar, among other horrors at the crime scene.

• 9 months ago

It will be fine if you get her a good home.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.