When would be the best time to give gifts for a new baby after it's born?

a week after birth?

2 weeks after birth?

a month after birth?

I bought a blanket with the baby's name on it from *Things Remembered*

And I thought the sooner the baby got the blanket the better altho I don't want to go to them too early.

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

After baby arrives, I'd suggest waiting about a week and then text or email that you have a gift for the baby and would be happy to bring it by when they're ready for visitors. They'll respond to you when they have the time. If you don't hear anything, try again in a week or two, and definitely don't take it personally. Adjusting to new parenthood is pretty overwhelming, but that doesn't mean they don't appreciate the thoughtfulness.

• Tri-Harder

IF SHE DOESN'T INVITE YOU, YOU DON'T GO. It's that simple.

• Pippin

If there will be some sort of ceremony (a christening, a naming/bris, etc.) within a few weeks, that would be a usual time to bring a gift. Otherwise, just whenever you visit or are able to drop it in the mail.

EDIT: Baby blankets are cute, but not all that useful. Medical recommendations are that baby NOT have blankets in the crib, so unless the parents opt to swaddle (and the blanket is the right size and shape for that), it will get minimal use.

• Amy

Aww just when you see the baby. Mum might want time to adjust to being a mum so just call and ask if its okay to say hello. She will like your gift

Whenever you visit. And that will depend entirely on the new parents. Some people like having guests in and out right away, some people want nothing to do with visitors until weeks later.

whenever the rnother is ready for visitors, i would just ask her

• Faith

It really depends on when the parents are accepting visitors. I've known some new parents who do not want visitors for the first 2wks and I've known some who are eager to accept visitors the moment they get home. Just contact the parents and ask when is the best time to visit.

• Kate8 months agoReport

My mom thinks that 1 week after the baby is born is way too early. I thought it was a decent time.