Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 8 months ago

Is it necessary to gather other's opinions about baby names?

If you are one hundred percent comfortable , confident and secure with the name you have chosen and you have made up your mind already that it is what you will choose , why ask the opinions of others?

Does it mean that some parents have doubts , when they turn to Yahoo Answers for suggestions? Or are they just trying to get reassurance?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I've been an active YA user with the same account for over 10yrs now. The baby section is about 80% full of kids, young teen girls who are bored and playing some kind of baby name game. They are not real adults. Over the past 20yrs I have never met a parent in person who was searching Yahoo Answers for baby names. Adults go to websites devoted to babies such as The Baby Center or even Facebook groups. Ask anyone and most people will say Yahoo Answers is full of trolls and useless when it comes to looking for real advice. Even though I'm a devoted user I would never ask serious advice on here. I'd go to family and friends. I'm on here mainly to give advice in the mental health section or education section.

• Marie
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

I’ve been on here a long time as well. I just like baby names .

• Boo
    Lv 4
    8 months ago

Not really but it can be fun. I didn't ask for help for my kids' names

• John P
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No need at all. If the name you have chosen is very unusual, you might like to test it with a good friend or two, just in case you have overlooked the chance of a child with that name being teased mercilessly at school.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Of course not. Entertainment value likely drives many questions (in different topics) on yahoo answers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

It is not necessary and IMO there is no point. There are zero names that are going to please everyone.

My brother and SIL were smart and didn't discuss their children's names with ANYONE. They simply put them on the birth certificate and then informed their friends and family. They really didn't want/need anyone's opinion and I was glad I didn't have to hear about it for months and months...

• 8 months ago

sad isnt it

• blank
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Sometimes I will ask to get a public's opinion and how well it would be accepted.

I never use Yahoo as a final decision but I do use it for advice such as middle names but in the end I will pick the middle name.

Like I said I also want to make sure it is accepted in today's times.

I will end up making the final decision.

Like others said their are kids asking questions for books or videogames or in many cases trolling.

I have saw someone say they had a baby and put the name and then they said they were expecting again a month after the first baby. In this case it is easy to spot

Some are not easy to spot.

To be honest even though i would answer questions seriously . I would troll question wise I also did ask serious questions.

I am not proud of it. It was dumb to do.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

rnaybe they just want to hear other's opinions

• 8 months ago

I've been here for a long time. During the day I see maybe 5 serious questions in the whole parenting section. The rest are just kids playing or dumb trolls. No adults are here gathering opinions for baby names. Real parents to be poll their friends on Facebook or in person.

• small
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Not necessary, but then people are only too eager to suggest new names.... left to me, I would simply coin a new 4-5 letter word for a 'nice sounding' first-name (e.g. Simin or Veny or Rovy or Bron) as I don't believe in having any meaningful word as the first name because the meaning of the name would then stick to the child as a part of personality.

• John P
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Oh gosh, does Small really think that those four he has listed are "nice-sounding names"?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.