Why is it that family and friends leave you when they perceive your life is not going the way they feel it should?

Have you noticed that if you don't live the life that other people perceive that you should, they start to pull away? If you struggle with mental illness (even if you do things to correct it and get counseling and mental illness) they still pull away? Or if you don't have the career, marriage (or... show more Have you noticed that if you don't live the life that other people perceive that you should, they start to pull away? If you struggle with mental illness (even if you do things to correct it and get counseling and mental illness) they still pull away? Or if you don't have the career, marriage (or non-marriage) or if you are gay or just plain different that some people pull away (including close family and what were also once best friends??).

I can't do this to people unless there is a good reason and I always do my best to let that person know why I am pulling away if they ask.

Is it simply that people in general simply cannot tolerate differences and change?