Anonymous

Was I fired unfairly?? Help?

I just got hired to this cashier/barista job about a week ago. I started training on monday and then the second day I was training the manager pulled me aside and told me I’m too slow and not enthusiastic enough so he wasn’t gonna continue the training. I convinced him to give me one more chance, so he gave me today (my 3rd day of training) and I really thought I was better. I was trying my best to do the job quickly and smiling at every customer ..

However, the manager did pull me aside again and told me that I improved but it wasn’t enough so unfortunately he has to let me go. I told him it’s only my third day training, and he told me that by now I should be at a certain level and that I haven’t reached it because of no enthusiasm with customers. Wtf ?? I really thought I was doing better, and I would have got better with more time. At my last job, which was similar, none of the managers ever gave me any problems like that. This manager wasn’t even the one that hired me, I got interviewed and hired by the district manager along with another group who all went to different locations of the same chain.

So was my termination fair?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Better get used to it. Welcome to the workforce. It ain't for everyone but everyone needs to pretend like they're having such a blast if they don't wanna end up living under a bridge on the freeway.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

they can fire you because you are still in the probation pride

• Linda
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

In America, EVERY state is 'at-will'.....meaning an employer can let an employee go for NO reason and an employee can quit a job for NO reason. FIND ANOTHER JOB!

• 9 months ago

Remember these 2 rules:

Rule 1) Sometimes, life isn't fair.

Rule 2) When in doubt, please refer to Rule 1.

In my opinion, your boss was probably a little too quick to fire you. However, that is life. You learn from it and move on. There certainly isn't anything that you can do about it legally.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • If you're not performing to their standards, you can get fired. It may not seam fair to you, but if you can't pick up the pace and be more out going then maybe being a barista isn't for you. The manager said you did improve a bit but it wasn't enough to keep you on. Food service is a fast paced job, they will constantly push you to work faster.

Work places aren't always going to be fair. Learn from it and move on.

• 9 months ago

Managers don't always tell you the truth. If you've truly tried and done your work with a good attitude to customers it might be that he has someone else waiting in the wings. You say he didn't hire you directly, so it could well be that he has just taken an instant dislike to you, as people sometimes do, irrationally. Now you know what it feels like to be an immigrant or black, when others can prevent you having, or keeping a job, or progressing in that job. Because people can, and do, lie about their real reasons for doing what they do, and you can't stamp that out.

• 9 months ago

No. You weren't a good fit for this particular job, in this manager's eyes. Nothing unfair about it. In this manager's eyes, it's unfair to the customers to keep you.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

yes,sorry, but it was fair

• 9 months ago

Okay, I'll go along with you. Your termination was unfair. So how is that going to get your job back ??? LIFE HAPPENS. Sometimes it's fair, sometimes it's not. Learn to deal with it and move on. Stop wasting time on what has happened in the past. Get over it.

• 9 months ago

Your former manager doesn’t think so and relative to your employment there his opinion is the only one that counts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.