About getting into a public transport?

I take bus every morning. The general rule is of course to let people out first. The middle door of the bus is very big, and people streamed out from left and right in two separate lanes - that is, from the rear and front end of the bus. People who want to get inside wait at the left and right side of the door... show more I take bus every morning. The general rule is of course to let people out first. The middle door of the bus is very big, and people streamed out from left and right in two separate lanes - that is, from the rear and front end of the bus. People who want to get inside wait at the left and right side of the door outside.

This morning I waited on the left. The stream of people coming out from the left side (rear end) has died down, so I stepped in. No one would be coming in my way anyway as anyone could see from the outside that the rear end had become empty.

Suddenly an old lady coming from the front end changed her lane in an attempt to get in front of me and shouted to let ALL people out first and that all young people are mannerless. She was too late though because I already passed. I ignored her.

What is the etiquette really? I've seen people stepped in when they happened to wait on the lane that had become empty. It seems common. Why should we wait until the other lane become empty too? No normal people would change lane anyway.

I crossed this lady very often in the morning. Should a similar incident arised, should I contradict her? Thanks.