Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 year ago

Why are atheists very zealous for their atheism, leading people to think it is a religion?

Many atheists get very religious for their atheism, with:

-Atheist mega churches

-The first church of atheism, where you can become an ordained minister

-Monuments to atheism

-Atheist doctrines (dawkind / haris / hitchkenz)

-Atheist summer camp for kids

-Atheist preachers

-Atheists zealous and dogmatic for their atheism in R&S.

It's no wonder so many people think atheism is a religion. If they don't want people to think that they should really work at scaling it all back, so why don't they?

Zealous atheists are already infecting this question with their dogma, trying to avoid answering the question. Why?

1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Atheistic zealots. Pairing these 2 words together form a REDUNDANT statement.

• 1 year ago

I imagine most atheists go months and often years without every discussing the topic of god, religion, atheism, etc.

1 year ago

Hilarious that you accuse atheists of avoiding your question after you block so many. Including me, I have to use my backup account to respond to you.

Lets go through the list.

*Atheist mega-churches.

It should be pointed out that the atheist mega "churches" are not a global phenomenon. We don't have any of these in Ireland. While I agree these venues are problematic to many degrees, the term church is used very loosely here. It is more a gathering of skeptics to discuss their worldviews and philosophy. If it was up to me, I'd call them something other than a church. "Hall of Reason" might be more suitable.

*First Church of Atheism / becoming an atheist minister

Pretty much similar to my rebuttal to your first point, but a little more involved. This is mostly to facilitate those who are non-religious for availing of humanist weddings and funerals. It makes the availing of such ceremonies easier for the skeptic community. So again the term church is used very loosely.

*Monuments of atheism?

There are no monuments of atheism. There is symbolism and works of art honoring great minds and thinkers. Other examples are simply statments of philosophical view in an artistic format. Monuments of atheism is being very mellow dramatic, to say the least.

*Atheist doctrines (dawkind / haris / hitchkenz)

Firstly they are spelled as Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens. They have no doctrines, they are works of popular science, biology, other areas of science and philosophy. A doctrine is a belief or set of beliefs and none of the works of the authors you mention fit that criteria in terms of their writings. In fact, many of their views are purely individualistic and are not necessarily shared by all atheists. In fact Richard Dawkins, for example, acknowledges atheists who disagree with him and defines them as they "I'm an atheist but" category of athiests. This point is made very clearly in his best seller The God Delusion.

*Atheist summer camps

These camps aim to educate in terms of philosophy and critical thinking skills. When it comes to Christian camps and there is quite a lot of those, that is more about indoctrination. So I fail to see the link with an athiest camp and religion.

*Atheist preachers

There is no such thing as an atheist preacher. There are lecturers of philosophy and various scientific fields who give talks on their given area of expertise. They are not preaching, they are stating facts. A preacher delivers a sermon. There are no atheist sermons.

*Atheists zealous and dogmatic for their atheism in R&S.

I suspect this is your own biased perspective. I will, however, admit some other atheists can be very overly passionate about their disdain for religion and spirituality. Some generalize way too much and I will be the first to point this out to them. This is an issue with them as individuals. It has nothing to do with them being atheists. Its a personality trait. There are plenty of persons of faith with similar personalities. In fact, I would put you in that category.

I answered your question in full. Even though you blocked me.

1 year ago

Yo god don’t exist have a nice day

• 1 year ago

The definition of religion could include people who watch anime all day.

In fact there's more similarities there, than with atheism.

1 year ago

Sure

And Christians are zealous about their own stupidity, displaying it daily to the whole world......

• PhotonX
      1 year agoReport

<The first church of atheism, where you can become an ordained minister > The moron is clearly unable to recognize sarcasm and a parody website when she see's one. Should we start citing the Landover Baptist Church as a typical Christian church?