Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 8 months ago

Can I have different names on 2 different passports, or do my names have to exactly identical on each passport?

I am asking from a legal perspective.

Presuming that I have 2 passports(2 citizenships), legally obtained.

Each of your passport has to have your legal name for that particular country. If you have different names in different countries -- as I do because I changed my name when naturalizing in the United States -- you indeed will have two passports from two countries with two different names in them.

You always need to keep your countries separate. One has nothing to do with the other. The only problem you may encounter when traveling with two passports is that you may have to show them both. I personally try to travel exclusively on my US passport, but if I want to enter a European country visa free or enter one of my countries of citizenship, I need to show the proper passport at immigration as well.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.

Is it possible? YES

If asked you explain WHY.

There are many legitimate reasons that a person takes a new name in the new country (the second citizenship)

If you leave it to some official they can hold you for a long time while they figure it out.

You can't have two valid passports at once, so whether they match isn't germane. The name you use should be 100% accurate so you don't get stranded in a foreign country.

• Maxi

If yu want to spend your time with immigration officers each and every time you travel to explain why and prove who you are as two passports in different names suggest immigration fraud

• I always travel with 3. I always show just one. I suppose if they searched through everything they would find the other 2 but that has never happened. Customs might look through your suitcase but they would never care about passports. That is an immigration issue.

Id assume they have to be the same If you have two first names just put both of your first two names on both passports