driving with an expired inspection sticker. Will i be arrested if caught?

So I live in the city, and barely use my car. Both school and work are within walking distance. I barely use the car. Recently a friend asked me to pick him up from the airport, as none of his family members can, and an uber would be too expensive, plus something about him only having cash on him? something, I don t know. But I agreed to pick him up. I go to clean my car, and noticed the inspection sticker (Pennsylvania) expired at the end of March. it s the middle of April. I JUST noticed now. there s absolutely nothing wrong with the car, as it is newer. I don t want to cancel on my friend last minute. What will happen if I get caught? will I be arrested??

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I've lived in several states and the penalty for expired tags/inspection stickers ranged from a "fix it" ticket (usually if the expiration date was within 30-60 days) to sizable fines and having the vehicle impounded.

In California I believe the ticket for expired tags over 60 days is over $800 plus whatever you have to pay to get your vehicle out of the impound lot.

• 1 year ago

Arrest is unlikely. Uber is not as expensive as the fine you are ASKING for.

• D50
    1 year ago

IF you get stopped (and it's very unlikely) tell the cop the same thing you told us and don't be a smartass. "I told my friend I would pick him and I just noticed it had expired" He will probably just tell you to get it inspected. Even if he doesn't it's probably a cheaper ticket than the Uber ride would have been.

• 1 year ago

Busses usually go to airports.

1 year ago

yes , the airport , where they have extra cops , that are trained to look for stuff like that .

you will get a ticket , the car will be towed .

• 1 year ago

You wouldn't be arrested, but your vehicle could be impounded. That's a LOT more expensive than an Uber.

1 year ago

No, you won't even get a major ticket as the person above said. You will get a small ticket and be ordered to get an new one. In Pennsylvania, the fine is $25. And if it is only one month out, in most states, there's a grace period and you don't even get a ticket at all.

• Jim
    1 year ago

You will get a major ticket.