Can I get a student loan if I study abroad?

I am a British student wanting to study in a South Korean University. Will I be liable for a student loan in the same way as I would if i were to stay in the UK for university?

If so, would it include living expenses and such as well?

Thank you!

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

No, your UK student loan will not cover overseas study unless this is part of a UK university course. For example, if you did a degree in Korean Studies at SOAS, spending a year in Korea would definitely be covered. But if your plan is just to study at a Korean university it will not be covered.

Korea recently started offering some English language taught undergraduate degrees. You may find that they offer some financial inducements to attract students. You do not say if this is the direction in which you are headed. That would be a pretty useless degree to be perfectly honest. I would go with the SOAS option.

• 1 year ago

Nope - UK student loans don't cover international studies.

• 1 year ago

No loans. Foreign students typically cannot borrow in their own country since they intend to leave their country for an extended period. And they cannot borrow in a foreign country since they are not legal residents, have no income, assets, etc, and will have to leave the country immediately upon completion or termination of studies. Furthermore, you must prove you (& your parents) have sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to your country of citizenship to apply for the student visa.

Your parents might be able to borrow, or mortgage their house, to get enough money to pay for everything. Of course, they must have good earnings, good credit history, assets, etc, to borrow.

• 1 year ago

'Student loans are not available via the Student Loans Company for students who plan to study outside the UK' That is a quote from The Complete University Guide website. I don't know where else you might be able to get a student loan in the UK. If it's from some place other than government-funded sources, then you need to see what conditions and terms they offer.

'Liable for' means 'responsible for'. You aren't liable for any loan right now because you haven't obtained one. I think the word you wanted is 'eligible'.