Is it possible to restore a windows 7 pro laptop that was wiped?

• Shadow
    1 year ago

If you have the Windows product key (Windows 7 keys are normally underneath the laptop) then all you need is to download the OS from Microsoft, burn it to DVD and reinstall the system. Otherwise ask for a disc from your local computer place and reinstall it like that using the product key underneath your laptop.

However, if you're saying that it shows "No Hard Drive Detected" on diagnostics, then either the drive is disconnected or there is something wrong with the HDD board. Open the BIOS, it should show the HDD name there. If not, then the drive may need to be replaced. If you can see the HDD name, then chances are the bootloader of the OS is missing so you'll need to run a repair of the OS. Otherwise, remove the drive from the laptop and see if it works in an external enclosure.. If it does, then you can back up everything (if readable) before reinstalling the system.

Source(s): 15 years in the IT Industry
  • keerok
    1 year ago

Maybe. It depends on how poor the wiper was. If it was that good, the hard disk is toast.

Anywho, it's best you just install from scratch.

• stan l
    1 year ago

TELL US WHY YOU SAY THE HARD DRIVE WAS "WIPED"? Did you wipe it? Did it die and you assumed it was "wiped"?

• Jimmie1 year agoReport

The people I bought them from said they were wiped

• 1 year ago

I don't know much about computers...I run a diagnostics I get a NO HARD DRIVE detected....I assume I am missing a driver....I assume I can't do anything until the computer can see the drive...I can buy the windows software but I am afraid it will not work....thanks

• Cackus
    1 year ago

DEepends on what you mean by restore,

Re installing windows is easy, if you want to recover data that really depends on how it was deleted and how much effort you want to put into it.

I've used sector editors to rebuild files from drives I had to spin up by taking the cover off and giving the platter a push( fish tank clean space lol). .

• 1 year ago

If the recovery partition from the OEM is still there, you can try using it to put the computer back to factory settings. If the partition isn't there, then you'll need to find a Windows 7 disk or order a Restore DVD from the manufacturer.

• 1 year ago

sure. get restore disk from maker

• 1 year ago

Yes, but it will only bring it back to the original embedded software, all personal information that you had on the computer will be lost.