How often do you think contractors cheat their customers?

A friend of mine was having new carpeting put down in two bedrooms in her home. She $1200 for the carpet and for padding. she, her brother, and i pulled up the old carpet and disposed of it, but was unable to scrape the padding off the floor as we didnt have the proper tools. The guy she contracted to install the... show more A friend of mine was having new carpeting put down in two bedrooms in her home. She $1200 for the carpet and for padding. she, her brother, and i pulled up the old carpet and disposed of it, but was unable to scrape the padding off the floor as we didnt have the proper tools. The guy she contracted to install the carpet asked if she was gonna be home. She said no that she had to work. Well, today she asked me to go see how they were doing..i went into her home and found them in the middle of laying this expensive carpet over the nasty padding that was already down. I asked them about the new padding, they told me she didnt order it. I was there when she did order it. Well they argued back and forth with me, then i called her..she came in demanding to know where the padding was that she paid $200 a roll for. Turned out it was on their truck. They had planned on keeping it, and her money. Is this a common practice?
11 answers 11