Poll, yes or no it is your responsibility as an adult to pay your bills on time?

Seems kind of common sense, but the longer I work with the public, the more I realize it isn't so common sense to a lot of people. Right now I work in insurance and...yes...you do have to pay to insure your car, house, business, etc. It's not free. We all know this. I have clients who have had their... show more Seems kind of common sense, but the longer I work with the public, the more I realize it isn't so common sense to a lot of people. Right now I work in insurance and...yes...you do have to pay to insure your car, house, business, etc. It's not free. We all know this. I have clients who have had their insurance for months, even years, that forget to make a payment but somehow make it OUR problem and throw a fit if their policy has a late fee, cancel notice, or worse completely cancels due to non-pay. They'll use every excuse in the book. "I didn't get my bill in the mail so I didn't pay" is always my favorite You should still know about when your bills are due. I pay around a dozen bills a month, I know when they are due. And if I am late...guess what? That's MY problem. Not the company's problem. Even if I didn't get a bill. Even if I thought I already paid and turns out I didn't.

So, am I nuts here in assuming as adults we alone are responsible for paying our bills on time? Yes? No? Why is this such a complicated concept to some?

**Obviously this doesn't count for people who have had a situation they absolutely cannot help. I.e. in the hospital or family member death or illness. We always do our best to accommodate for those situations. But interesting enough, those are the people who actually don't get upset at us. Go figure.
Update: Also, for those of you who have been in this boat of grown *** adults getting mad at you or your company for penalties of being late, I am curious to hear your stories. :)
Update 2: Actually, to the anonymous answer, you have a point. But I have been in that predicament. Especially with credit cards because they're not as important as food, gas, rent, electric...BUT I do not get mad at the company for my negligence. At the end of the day if I am going to own a car insurance is part of... show more Actually, to the anonymous answer, you have a point. But I have been in that predicament. Especially with credit cards because they're not as important as food, gas, rent, electric...BUT I do not get mad at the company for my negligence. At the end of the day if I am going to own a car insurance is part of the deal.