Erik
Erik asked in SportsBaseball · 8 months ago

Why not use your closer or reliever during the first inning at away games?

I just watch my team, the mets, and the pitcher always suck in the first inning at away games. I read that statistically the first inning is always the inning where most runs/hrs are scored. But I've never seen a baseball team use anyone NOT considered a starting pitcher in the first inning.

Favorite Answer

The game is just beginning, there are 27 outs in a game. Getting the first 3 outs means your still have 24 outs or 8 innings left of baseball. Your starter has more stamina and arguably a better arsenal of pitches where they can go through a line up multiple times where a Closer typically relies on 1 maybe 2 pitches as an out pitch

Great idea!

Use the closer in the first inning to shut the opponent down in the opening frame and then move him to right field in case he's needed again in the ninth inning to, you know, actually close the game.

There are very few balls hit to right during a game so the risk of playing him out there is minimal.

You should be managing a major league team. Outstanding!

The closer? Because you want them around if you need them in the high leverage end game situations. Any old reliever? Sure why not...but also....why? Why only away games?

• Kathy

Because the teams want to save them for later in the game.

Tampa Bay does it all the time.