Henry
Henry asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 8 months ago

Why do planes have an overhead compartment if they have a cargo hold?

Favorite Answer

Because they want to use every available space. By getting people to put at least some of their luggage in overhead bins, there is less stuff in the cargo bay - meaning there might be room leftover down there to carry revenue cargo.

Also because passengers may have personal items they want to keep with them during the flight or during their transfers when they don't have access to their checked bags.

• zipper

For small carry on items and to get you to ask another stupid question.

The overhead compartment is for carry-on bags. The cargo hold is for checked bags.

• someg

You flyboys crack me up!

• Ron

Damn Henry, that's a great question. I wonder why there are overhead bins to store your carry on stuff like the flight attendant states. I'll have to think about that one.

Source(s): sarcasm, because your stupid question deserves it
    • PhotonX

<sarcasm, because your stupid question deserves it> Yeah, Henry is a young Earth creationist, and not exactly the sharpest tack in the box to start with.

For your convenience as the stewardess explains.

Because people insist on bringing carry-on luggage.

• F

I was annoyed on my last flight at the size of some bags people were trying to stuff into overhead lockers. However, after waiting an hour for my bags to turn up on the carousel, I can understand why,.

• Dv8s

For your purse or computer, or anything that you may need before the flight is over.

People bring stuff with them that they don't want to check into baggage stored in the bottom of the plane. They put it in overhead.

• Norman

That's for overhead cargo.