Mom is terminally ill, how long does a foreclosure take in NC?

My mom is 80 has no assets and only very little savings. No 401k, no life insurance, nothing. Her social security and small pension has been able to cover the mortgage payment (she is upside down in the mortgage that she has only had 7 years - - - she sank all her savings into the house unwisely). She was diagnosed 9 weeks ago with a terminal cancer and the prognosis is only about 3 more months at the most. I manage her money now and did not make the last 2 months mortgage payment due to her medical expenses. They of course are already sending letters. I have no idea what to do. I know the house will go back to the bank in foreclosure eventually, but I don't know whether to call the mortgage lender and tell them the circumstances or keep waiting. I'm afraid if I tell them, they might speed up the process of foreclosure because they know my mom will never be able to attempt to pay it. I don't know how much time we have to work with to wait and see how long she may live and then clean out the house of personal belongings, etc. I need some advice to lessen the anxiety. Should I call the Homeowners HOPE hotline? Should I call HUD for mortgage assistance counseling? Any advice is appreciated.

I'm sad to hear that your mom is terminally ill ,you can get your mom to experiment with raw fruit therapy ,

I once saw a article saying this will be helpful in treating the advanced cancer ,and extending the life of patients ,

I think that since you don't have enough money to pay the mortgage and know about the foreclosure affairs ,you can consult the HUD ,the HUD will provide counselling service for you,and tell you some way out of the current problems ,

get ma to sign power of attorney to you.take the situation to cty housing dept,,or a referral from a NC am saturday attorney/real estate pgm

msge the guy on facebook,,call his office direct

a short sale may help avoid forecosure,or a revere mortgage

Ask for the original promissory note. If they don't produce it then they have no claim. Create a trust. Place the asset/mortgage/home whatever into the trust Now it's not in anyone's name *dusts hands*

In depending on the timing of the various required notices, but in North Carolina it usually takes approximately 90-120 days to effectuate an uncontested non-judicial foreclosure. This process may be delayed if the borrower contests the action in court, seeks delays and adjournments of sales, or files for bankruptcy.

PERHAPS MY PAIN CAN HELP YOUR SITUATION...

Say nothing and get your name out of all her debts and if the estate is less then twenty five thousand dollars when you sell anY assets if there are any they cannot touch what you have. I settled my mother's estate and greedy family members were not kind but I kept my brother and I from having to pay her debts. Sorry this is gong to be anonymous and do not care about best answer just want to protect someone who cares about parents like I do. Be cautious and do all you can to delay foreclosure and immediately get off of here and close this account and tell no one who you are or what you are going through so no one takes advantage of you.

Where I am forecosures take at least 3-6 months, sometimes years if the bank doesn't push it all thru. If she has only 3 months to live then its very likely she will not outlive the foreclosure (but things could be different in NC - I doubt they are that different). Also if she simply files for bankruptcy (before the actual sale - must be before the sale occurs) or contests the foreclosure this can buy her considerable time.

However, if she surprises the doctors and lives longer than 3 months, then who knows.

Can't tell you what to do but she'll probably pass away before the foreclosure is done.

She'll do better.

Why not consider a short sale as this will minimize the deficiency balance?

Call your Social Services agency and any and all other agencies in your state. Many times the Salvation Army can help a little. Then you better damn well have not misappropriated here funds to your funds since you "manage her money now.

I do not feel you are telling the truth as mos people do not just refer to it as "terminal cancer but give the cancer type.

I was given 6 months to live 20 years ago with "terminal cancer".

• Anna D

This question just doesn't ring true.

Yes - call the mortgage lender and let them know what's happening.