Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 8 months ago

If you have a teenage daughter who just passed her driving test, what car would you buy her?

• Linda

What ever you can afford to buy for her.....however, I would suggest paying no more than $5,000 for it.

First, I would teach her how to do maintenance on cars and how to change tires.

Second, I would buy her a Toyota Corolla or Honda civic only, because they are easy to maintain and replace parts on them.

• Anon

Only a Model "T" or old Chevette are "easy". All cars much after 1980 are FWD with everything jammed in there, even hard to just replace and do an oil change on a lot of them.

I wouldn't buy her a car, I would encourage her to save up money to buy a good used car. However, I will help her find one that is in good shape, affordable, and one that is safe to drive. I could allow her to drive my vehicle, but then she should fill up the gas tank once she is done using it and have her pay part of the insurance coverage.

Nothing too sporty, I'm 23 and I just got a Infiniti G35 Coupe and my insurance is $150, I've never gotten a ticket or been in an accident, I'm 23, I couldn't imagine how much it would be if I owned this car when I was 16, go with like a Honda Accord, or some kind of Honda.

• Cedric8 months agoReport

Well duh xD I couldn't find a 350z in my price range so I went with the next best thing.

Whatever car that runs, but not a brand new car, and certainly not a luxury car.

Just a car that runs. A used car, but not from a junk yard. Maybe a 1,000 dollar car.

• zipper

Sherman Tank.

None. Parents should *never* buy a car for their children. The teen needs the experience of saving for a beater car and paying their own insurance, or they will never learn the value of a dollar or a car.

My daughter worked all summer to save $1000 for a car. I went around with her and we eventually found a Corolla she could afford. It was a few months younger than she was. We had already worked out the details: she would buy the car outright, she would pay the insurance, and I would help her do the repairs it needed and the maintenance. Today she knows more about cars, including buying and caring for them, than her husband does. A few months ago, nearly 20 years later, she helped me change out the drive axles on her CR-V.

You may not want to go to that extent but you would not be doing her a favor leaving her out of the long, hard path to car ownership. She has to learn sometime - why not now?

One with out a back seat to screw in.

A Honda Civic, for a lot of good reasons -- cost of insurance being one of the major reasons. Insurance is expensive for any teen.

• SennaMP48 months agoReport

Civics and other economy cars have very high rates

• paul

one I could afford