How do you get another insurance company to return calls?

I was in an auto accident and my car was smashed to where I can't drive it. The other driver was at fault and my insurance adjuster has been on the ball, but the other insurance company and the other driver won't return her calls or respond to her letters. I have tried to reach them myself and they won't respond to me either. It has been two weeks and being without an operable vehicle has been very difficult, but I can't do anything without either getting the money for my vehicle or them paying to fix it.

Is there some way to force the other insurance company to contact me or my adjuster and make some progress on the claim? Is there a legal time limit that they can go without processing the claim?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • james
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

You should not call them at all. It is your insurance companies to handle. They are looking over the claim investigating. BUT. Your agent needs send them a letter. Giving them 7 days to respond at this time. Regestered mail. The 7 days start then. On them getting it. They do not respond then your agent will need file with the courts.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

file a complaint with the State Board of Insurance.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

That is your insurance companies job not your, you get the info for them and they take it from there. If it drags out to long contact your States Insurance Commission and an attorney.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

You are a nobody to the other insurance company. If your insurance company can't get any response...they are a somebody...then you got to hire an accident Lawyer to push this case along. Still, nothing happens overnight.

You only talk to your insurance company. To them you are important. You are their client. They should be working to get your car fixed using their money...regardless of the time it takes for them to make contact with the other company. The other company cannot run and hide. You say your insurance is on the ball(or bottle?). Push at them to get things going.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • lucy
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

If you have collision coverage, then let (your) insurance fix it, then your insurance will go after the other insurance or to the other driver to collect.

But, if you only have liability, then (until) the other insurance talks to their policyholder, then they can pay. But if they refuse to cooperate, then the other insurance can deny your claim, for the policyholder refusal to cooperate with their insurance company.

• 10 months ago

This shouldn't delay repairing your car. You insurance will pay for it then go after the other insurance company.

• May
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

You are going about this wrong.

You should simply use your own collision insurance. Notify your agent. He will explain this to you.

No collision coverage of your own? You are on your own.

WHEN YOU HAVE INSURANCE...…… USE IT !

• 10 months ago

There is no way to force someone to use the phone.

The first and most important step is to stop calling. Every time you try to call, it sends the message that if they continue to ignore you, then all you will do is to make more phone calls.

The next step is to send a letter by certified mail, return receipt requested. This is often done just before suing, so it may scare them into thinking that you're about to sue, and that might prod them into action.

If you can't find any other solution, you can sue the driver who was at fault (not her insurance company) and if you win, then her insurance will pay you. However, doing it this way will take a lot longer than just a few weeks,and sometimes even takes a few years.

• g
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

There is zero reason to have direct contact with the other motorist or their insurance provider. That is the job of your insurance provider. Be patient and let them perform the job you have already paid them to provide for you.

• 10 months ago

Keep your nose out. The only person you should be calling is YOUR insurance adjuster asking why they haven't progressed with your payment. It's their job to chase this, not yours.

Unless of course you only have liability insurance and then you are on your own.

• Snezzy
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

Let everyone observe that, as usual, Percy (Percival Q. Theodore according to his official records) is correct.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.