What do after Windows 10 1709 expired?

Hi. I have Windows 10 1709 still on my computer. I read that support has ended. I am going out of town for a couple months. Would I still be able to upgrade to the latest feature update when I get back even though support has ended? I know I can’t get security updates, but I am asking if I can still get feature update.

Please do not ask me why I haven’t updated yet. I have my reasons. I am just wondering if this is possible.

Thank you in advance

• 1 year ago

If your Win 10 is legitimate join the Insider program - its currently got me at version 1903.

• MIKE
    1 year ago

yes, you'd still be able to upgrade/update it later (5 yrs later even) using windows update.

Support ending is not a big deal. It just means they have made the final batch of updates (patches and fixes) for that version.

You can upgrade now or later, its your choice, whether or not support ended for your version

• Jerry
    1 year ago

A genuine copy of Windows NEVER expires, Microsoft just quits providing security updates. Windows will continue to work just fine. When and only when your are ready go to the Microsoft site and download the media creation tool for Windows 10 latest edition.

After installation about 30-45 min depending on Internet speed, You will be done but you should run the disk cleanup on your c drive to remove all of the old windows installers. They do nothing but take up space.about 30 GB of hard drive space.

NOTE if you don't want to upgrade windows keep your anti-virus progam and a malware removal program up to date and run them often and you should be fairly safe even without the windows updates.

Microsoft allows some patches and special features to be downloaded manually so you can get only the ones you need/want.

1 year ago

First thing you do is you run Malwarebytes and your virus cleaner and defragment your computer this is an absolute must before you do what I'm about to tell you to do if you don't you'll wind up with a horrible slow sticky mess.

after you remove all the bad stuff with the virus cleaner and Malwarebytes download Windows 10 media creation tool. Check the box that says I want to upgrade this computer.

It will download the latest version of Windows 10 and install it for you. After it has completely downloaded and installed itself and you have answered all the little questions. You can run the disk cleanup on your c drive to remove all of the old windows installers which will give you back about 30 gigs of hard drive space.

This takes about 3 hours total but if you follow my instructions you'll come through it free and clear with a brand new version of Windows

• Bill-M
    1 year ago

Windows 10 automatically updates. You should be getting all the updates unless you don't have an internet connection.

What you can do is use Microsoft Media Creation Tool and download the latest version of Windows 10 ISO and put it on a USB Stick. Then boot off of the USB and do a clean install of 10.

You just need a good connection as the download will take about 30 minutes.

• 1 year ago

That is not my question, can someone please re read my question and answer the question I asked.

• Dave
      1 year agoReport

feature and security updates go hand in hand. You can't get one without the other.

• Dave
    1 year ago

There is no such things as Windows "expiring". Once you own a version, you own it forever. All you're doing is missing out on security patches, which in itself is stupid, but hey, to each their own.