Did Einstein believe in Black Holes in the Universe?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Best Answer

No, because he probably didn't do the math that Penrose and Hawking did. He thought the the constant for expansion of the Universe was his biggest mistake. The concept of black hole was already existence from other people's work, but I don't think it had been named "black hole."

Einstein was born in 1879 and died in 1955. His two relativity papers were in 1905. Georges Lemaitre's primordial atom paper that is the basis for the Big Bang theory was published I'm 1927. Hubble's papers on red and shifted moving galaxies was published in 1931 1932. A "rediscovered" was published in later. I'll have to look that up because I don't remember the year it was published..

Note the number of YEARS between the various papers. These days, because everything is published and pre published at a much faster rate. Even with peer review often taking well over a year, communication between scientists is much faster than it was 60 to 70 years ago. Hawking was born in 1946. Penrose, Hawking's adviser,

Source(s): is alive. Scientists ts really do stand on other people's shoulders, as Newton said more than 200 years ago.
  • 7 months ago

Oh yes indeed.

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Eventually, yes, but not at first.

• 7 months ago

While his equations predicted such an object, he stated that he didn't believe it could ever occur in nature.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • YKhan
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

No, not in reality, he thought of them as merely theoretical constructs. The original idea for black holes came from Karl Schwarzchild, based on the equations of General Relativity, not from Einstein himself. He was skeptical that black holes could actually exist. A lot of stuff that his equations predicted, he didn't actually believe in himself, even if he originally came up with the idea, such as gravitational waves, he never considered them much more than thought experiments that couldn't actually exist in real life. Well, the first evidence for an actual black hole appeared in the 1960's, just a few years after his death, and other things like gravwaves were discovered a half-century later.

• neb
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

He certainly was a man of contradictions. Incredibly creative but stubbornly resistant to ideas that violated his sense of how the universe should work.

• Rowan
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

He predicted them I think, I'm not sure if they were discovered while he was alive, but they suppressed his cycling universe paper in English until five years ago. Black holes are what happens when the stars burn out, general relativity says all forms of energy have gravity, and there's no reason to think dark energy, the unknown, isn't like all other forms of energy. This would add to the gravity of the black holes, while removing all propulsion, causing the big crunch. The reason it was suppressed was because the people who came up with the big bang theory were fundamentalist Christians who took as proof of the literal truth of Genesis, which was supported by the majority of scientists.

Date:

February 19, 2014

Source:

Springer Science+Business Media

Summary:

Researchers have provided the first English translation and an analysis of one of Albert Einstein's little-known papers, "On the cosmological problem of the general theory of relativity." Published in 1931, it features a forgotten model of the universe, while refuting Einstein's own earlier static model of 1917. In this paper, Einstein introduces a cosmic model in which the universe undergoes an expansion followed by a contraction. This interpretation contrasts with the monotonically expanding universe of the widely known Einstein-de Sitter model of 1932.

• 7 months ago

who knows

• Mark
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Yes. Haven't you ever heard of an Einstein-Rosen Bridge? (It's basically a black hole on one side and a white hole on the other, connecting either different parts of one universe or connecting two DIFFERENT universes.)

• goring
      Lv 6
      7 months agoReport

not all observers agree on interpretation of what they see or make of it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.