J asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 year ago

What is the correct way to say this, because I got into a debate with my gfs sister.?

My gf was eating whataburger late at night and I told her “YOU’RE GONNA GET OBESE” her sister then says “YOU MEAN, YOU’RE GONNA GET OBESITY” this starting the argument.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

You're gonna get obese.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

In writing you should never use those horrible slang forms such as "gonna" and "wanna" and "trynna" unless you are making a direct report of somebody's speech forms.

• 1 year ago

they are both correct

its more natural to say you are going to get obese

• 1 year ago

Most native speakers wouldn't think of saying 'You're going to get obesity' but she was actually being logical. We often use the verb 'get' for a medical condition, eg Sammy got cancer; Susie got the flu; Jamie got pneumonia, Vladimir got TB.

Don't forget that 'get' is used in many, many ways. You meant it in the sense of 'become' (it's getting warmer; Robert's getting older; you'll get tired if you don't rest) but your gf's sister was using it in the sense of 'acquire' or 'catch' [get a cold / catch a cold].

Grammatically speaking they are both correct. It's just that NORMALLY people say 'You'll get obese / fat'.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Todd
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

become obese not get obese

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Nothing wrong with saying 'You'll get obese'. You'll get fat; you'll get tired; you'll get bored; you'll get wet; you'll get sleepy.

• 1 year ago

INCORRECT: YOU’RE GONNA GET OBESITY.

CORRECT (technical): YOU’RE GOING TO GET OBESE.

• Logan1 year agoReport

Not sure why there are thumbs down on this since it's correct LOL

• 1 year ago

you have used get in the sense of become, and she is using it in the sense of come into possession. Neither is wrong in the common north american vernacular.

• 1 year ago

mate, shurrup and gerra burger darn yer

• 1 year ago

both are correct, however, you should both likely take 7 pickles and engorge yourselves on them to settle the score.

• 1 year ago

Just don’t say it, I am sure one whataburger is not going to cause obesity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.