Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 7 months ago

Why in Los Angeles does not it snow?

I'm not American, but I wonder why even Los Angeles being several miles above the Tropic of Cancer there are no winters with snow in Los Angeles.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Do you want it to?

• Sagery
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

All of these answers are chewing at the edges of the true answer.....humidity. The air just does not have enough moisture in it. The southern-ness does contribute, as well the shadow effect from the inland mountains. As air comes in from the Pacific, what moisture it does have gets squeezed out as the air tries to rise up and get over the inland mountains, like the Sierras.... so the west side of the Sierras get the snow and the rain.

• 7 months ago

It rarely snows in Los Angeles due to its southern promixity, the closer you are to the equator the warmer it stays year around. The second factor, is the ocean factor, places tend to be warmer in the winter due to the ocean, it warms an area up by several degrees, whereas the more inland you go the cooler it gets.

That being said, it does snow in Los Angeles, in fact, it did snow there this winter, I believe just under an inch was recorded.

• 7 months ago

LA is too far south and too close to the Pacific Ocean to get cold enough for snow.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

There is snow in LA city proper, but it's VERY rare!

There was snowfall in Jan. 21, 1962

Happens maybe once in 50 years!!! But there is plenty of snow in the mountains closeby, great for fun or skiing!

• 7 months ago

Because Los Angeles is on the coast of the Pacific Ocean, so the Pacific brings warm air to the West Coast of the U.S. Also, it's pretty far enough South. Although the South gets snow sometimes, L.A. has the Pacific as well to add to the Southerly location.

• 7 months ago

Aside from the fact that the temperature does not get low enough, there is also the influence of the Pacific Ocean. Also, there is what is called the shadow effect from the sierra Nevada mountains.

That being said, it did snow in Los Angeles in January 1962, but the snow melted within a short time

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.