Is there a vaccine for Malaria?

I am a student and I need to do a research about Malaria, and vaccine is part of the research.

I searched on the internet, and Wikipedia says that the vaccine for Malaria is RTS,S, but I heard from my parents and other people that the vaccine for Malaria does not exist.

I also did some extra research, and some medical websites say that the vaccine for Malaria does not exist, but those articles were written a long time ago.

I'm not sure whether Wikipedia is wrong or the medical websites are outdated

I want to know:

If the vaccine for Malaria exists, the name(s) of it

If not, why there is no vaccine for Malaria

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

We have vaccines against diseases caused by some bacteria and some viruses. Malaria is caused by a parasite, not a bacterium or virus. The parasite is injected into the host when mosquitoes fed on their blood. There are medication that can be taken to reduce the chances of being infected with the parasite. Many have adverse side effects.

As far as I know , there is no vaccine against malaria though there may now be long-acting, injectable medications without so many side effects. Actual vaccines train your immune system so it can deal with future expose to the pathogen. Medications do not provide that immune system training.

The most effective long term programmes to eradicate malaria involve insecticides or genetic manipulation of the mosquito breeding cycle. An insecticide called 'DDT' was used until the 1960s and was very effective but it was found to cause serious long term harm to people who suffered continued exposure so DDT was banned.

• οικος
      1 year agoReport

Malaria and yellow fever are different. The first is spread by Anopheles mosquitoes and the second by Aedes.

• hart
    1 year ago

the vaccine delusion

1 year ago

there ARE medicines, yes .......................................

• Edna
    1 year ago

The US military routinely vaccinates active-duty personnel and dependents against the strain of malaria that is spread by mosquitoes and is known as Yellow Fever.

I was a Navy wife, and I had to be vaccinated by the Navy against Yellow Fever before I could travel outside the US. Yellow Fever is a "rough" vaccination. It can make you ache and run a fever for one or two days after you take it.

• k w
    1 year ago

MMS claims it can fix it short time, but that fix is stepping on many toes in the process......very controversial....

• Tavy
    1 year ago

Well I found it on

UK sites, so you have not looked very hard.

This is still being developed, it could act in young children, but it's no good for adults.

So I suppose the answer at the moment is no.

• Gert
    1 year ago

Malaria vaccine. Malaria vaccine is a vaccine that is used to prevent malaria. The only approved vaccine as of 2015 is RTS,S. It requires four injections, and has a relatively low efficacy.

1 year ago

Yes, RTS,S. It requires four injections a year to maintain vaccination.