Michelle asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

Does anyone know how a ESA letter works?

My son Suffers from depression, mood disorder, ADHD, Anxiety. I got him a puppy to try and help him with out all the medication. He does take something for his ADHD. And it's been working out well so far. He loves walking her to school and seeing her when I pick him up from school. My son and the Principal don't really have a good relationship. She saw him walking the dog to school and she pulled him up and tould him the dog is not allowed on the school property. It broke my son heart the way she said it to him. So I got a ESA letter from his doctor and I also Registered her as a A motional support animal. Now my question is with her being registered and with the ESA letter can she kick the dog off the property? All he does is walk her to the doors and then I take her home. My son gets out at 12:30 so when i pick him up no one is even there. She is a 4 Month old Siberian husky she does not jump on any of the kids she is a very good dog. I really feel she only said that because is was my son walking the dog. I have seen other people with there dogs up there and yes I have said something but she always said she has been telling other people to

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Emotional support dogs are not covered by ADA.. They do not have public access rights. Yes, the principal can indeed kick her off school property. ESAs are not the same thing as service dogs. They are only covered under fair housing laws and airline carrier access laws.

• 1 year ago

Peter Gore Seer,

Four Members Of My Family Suffer ESA, But Because Benefits Can Be Got The System Covers It Up, And No Special Treatment Is Allowed, Some Times The ESA Can Bring Harm To Animals, Each Day Is A Challenge, We Did Have Special Schools, But Cut Backs Mean Kids Go To Normal Schools, And Most ESA Kids Drop Out, Threw Lets Say Bulling, But Some Of The Bulling In Not Reality, To Day It Stopes You Working But 40 Years Ago There Were Jobs.

• 1 year ago

you could take the support animal up to edge of school

• 1 year ago

Any ESA s just a PET. It does NOT mean you can bring this dog to the kid's school, to stores, etc. It's not a Service Dog, either, as your child isn't disabled nor is the dog trained to do anything he can't do for himself.

If dogs are not allowed on the school property he can NOT walk to the dog to school. Obviously you're there with him so walk to in front of the school then walk back home.

How freaking hard is that????

Dogs make people happy and calm them. He's a PET. Leave him at home where he belongs.

1 year ago

Good for the principal. I'm glad there's people who stand up and don't let fake handicappers like you scam the system.

People like you should never have children. You encourage your child to be a victim, a handicap. You want the child grow up thinking he can't do anything for himself. Absolutely pathetic.

• Maxi
    1 year ago

Even in countries that stupidly encouage/allow 'ESAs' there is no 'registry' for an ESA and anyway a school is not place for any dog let alone a 4 month old pup who needs training, taking out to toilet etc your son is in school to learn how to comply/behave and get on with school work not to play with a pup and run around ......... you are doing him no favours at all as a parent making him think he is 'entitled'

• DIEGO.
    1 year ago

I had a stubborn and disobedient dog.

• Robert
    1 year ago

Just get the dog a service dog vest.

• *****
    1 year ago

ESAs do not allow a dog to access public places that pets aren't normally allowed, they only allow the animal to be kept in *some* no-pets rental housing and on domestic commercial air flights with advance arrangement made. Yes, the principal and other school staff members can exclude the dog from school property.

Your son can walk the dog to the edge of school property. Then you stop there with the dog, and he continues into the school on his own. He does not need to walk the dog all the way to the doors.

• 1 year ago

Have you tried talking to her? She definitely sounds horrible but letting her know that he suffers from many things and this is making him happy would hopefully help. Otherwise, she is an evil person. Sad to hear but honestly just continue to do so and walk the dog there, I see plenty of people walking dogs to schools to pick their kids up. Hoping for the best!