Is it illegal to cut homeless people s hair in public ?

I m planning on doing this since I am a licensed hairstylist but I dont want to stopped by police and/or have to leave anyone with a unfinished haircut

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

An unfinished haircut* and it depends on the rules in your town.

• 8 months ago

Hmm, apart from the hair messing up the street I don't see a problem. If you collect money for it, it might also be seen as begging. Maybe invite homeless over with a numbered card.

• Jerry
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Ask some entity that aids the homeless to guide you and help you do this is a legal way.

• 8 months ago

It depends on your city or town regulations. This is a surprising complex answer for a seemingly simple question. It really depends on your local town or city standards. Locally where I live: in city A it's fine to offer outdoor help to the homeless including hair cutting, in city C it's not legal due to health code regulations and the concern about spreading skin diseases, pathogens and insect infestations through improperly sanitized shears and trimmers. If this is something you want to do then contact social services, agencies, or groups that help the homeless and ask them. Instead of outdoors they could help you find a church or other shelter where you can set up and cut away. Some hostels and shelters offer shower and hygiene services and are always looking for hair pros willing to volunteer their time. This way you can meet health requirements and offer an essential service to those in need.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

no, Bustos hairdresser', looks for homeless people living on the streets rather than in shelters, because they often need an extra "jump start." People in shelters, he says, have at least taken the initial step of getting a roof over their heads.

"I approach individuals on the street or parks and tell them the purpose of what I do," he says. "Cutting their hair becomes a lot like a therapy session and not just a haircut."

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

I don't see where it would be illegal unless you were blocking a sidewalk. Unless there are laws against creating a public spectacle? But then, that is a lot f haircuts. Better check first. But don't take no for an answer.

• 8 months ago

Yes, it is illegal. You can do it privately in your home or in a commercial business. Anywhere else would be illegal. Well, if you own a boat or in your car, that would be okay. Anywhere else, you will need a permit to do it. Permits apply to specific areas so choose your spot and then go and get your permit. You can't move around and do it just anywhere.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • 8 months ago

Um, it is not illegal if you do not charge. It can be illegal if you do it in neighborhoods where people live.

• 8 months ago

Why would it illegal. It sounds like a nice thing that you are planning on doing

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.