How do I heal the blister-like things on my finger from plucking my violin strings?

Will it go away soon? How much longer? I'm a beginner violinist and the beginning of my book, you have to pluck the strings before you use the bow. How can I heal (or prevent) the blister thingy?

Yeah... I don't have a teacher by the way, my parents don't want to pay for lessons :/

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

its the sort of thing that goes away with time. i had the same thing when i learned guitar as a child. use plasters, let them heal, go easy for the first few weeks, and soon you will find your fingers have toughened up and they wont hurt anymore. for now, just take care of the blisters.

• DJ
      1 year agoReport

I'm a guitar player, too. I actually play four different instruments (I also play bass guitar, drums, and keyboard; not just guitar). Had I had stuck with playing the harmonica, it would have been five instruments.

1 year ago

They heal on their own, and turn to callouses. I don't play violin, but I do play some other stringed instruments (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and electric bass guitar). When the blisters first form, they can really hurt. Feels like you have a bad burn on your fingers. I'm a multi-instrumentalist, so I have experienced this many times. I play on the worship band at my church. I'm usually the bass guitarist. Sometimes I fill in on rhythm and lead guitar when the lead guitarist is absent. The worship leader also plays an acoustic guitar, and if she's unable to play, I fill in on the acoustic guitar for her (I cannot sing, there are others who have that talent). Me and another guy (he and the lead guitarist both also can play bass guitar) are back-up drummers, and we take turns filling in on the drums when the main drummer is absent.

Anyways, from my own personal experience, you ought to take a break from playing for a few days, and tough out the pain until it heals.

Source(s): Blisters and callouses are normal, when you play stringed instruments.
  • 1 year ago

Moleskin tape. It's semi-clear, soft, and can be wrapped around your fingers.

• Danny
    1 year ago

Blisters are your skin's severe reaction to repeated friction (among other causes). Learn more about them on a medical site... https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments... ...Meanwhile, stop playing until new skin forms underneath.

You may not have actual blisters, where there's a little fluid sack just under the skin surface, but "just" sore finger tips. Again, back off playing at least in practice time. The skin will get tougher, but you can avoid blisters.

I see no mention of your having a teacher, but the overall approach should be discussed with one.

Source(s): Retired musician
  • Tony B
    1 year ago

If they're blisters it will take quite a while for them to heal. There's nothi g you can do to speed it up.

It's too late now but your fingers must have been sore before the blisters developed? That was the time to stop and take a break.