Anonymous

Do veterinarians have a nice life?

I am interested in becoming veterinarian, but i always hear that they dont make good money and a lot of vets are in debt, etc.

I am not in it for the money, but of course having money to feel comfortable (like a nice family home, a car to drive to work, vacations,etc) is how i am want to live.

being a veterinarian would be the world to me, helping animals (and the owners) is a dream of mine, but I always hear the bad things and rarely the good.

Any vets can help?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Lauren
    Lv 6
    6 months ago
    Best Answer

This just depends on your version of a "nice life" because everyone has different needs and goals. Helping animals will always be a noble profession, whether you are a vet or a vet tech, etc. It can be a very rewarding career but it's very stressful. A new vet starting out can make anywhere from $60,000 to $90,000 depending on the geographical area and the type of veterinary job, so it is a wide range. It sounds like good money. But what makes it not so good is that vets typically have 8 years of education (4 years undergrad plus 4 years vet school). Will you have to borrow all of this money? You can get scholarships for undergrad but typically only small scholarships if any for vet school (unless you do a military program). This means that you borrowed a major amount of money. The average debt for a veterinarian starting out in 2016 was $167,535. Not as much money as someone who went to medical school, but the average vet makes less than those who went to medical school and has less overall potential to make higher salary. And not to mention that you have interest on your loans that continues to accrue each day. You may be able to work a little in undergrad but it would be very difficult to work in veterinary school. So you also have to borrow for living expenses - apartment, car, food, clothes, books, etc.

Starting out as a new vet with all of that debt, you won't be buying a new car or a new house or going on any vacations. Unless you are making a poor life decision. You will be living like a poor college student, trying to spend as little as possible on your housing, food, clothes, etc. You will be paying a huge bill each month to your student debt and that money you are making will seem like very little when you also have to pay for rent, electric, gas, your family, etc. So unless you have good finances to start out with and don't have to borrow much money, these are important things to think about.

My advice is be smart with money from the start. Don't apply to any veterinary schools that are out of your comfort level for borrowing money. If if it's an out of state school or a school outside of the US, prepare to take on huge debt. Go for your in state school. If you don't make it in the first time, reconsider what you want to do. Go to an undergrad school where you can get scholarships or lower tuition. Don't get lured in by a "prestigious" school because you can get accepted to veterinary school from any undergraduate university. Save money!

Someday you can have a comfortable life as a vet. Probably not extravagant but comfortable, yes. This will only be if you are smart with money and you make good decisions from the start of your education. Otherwise you will pay big for it later on. The reason why there are so many bad stories out there is because many people went to vet school at all costs. They went to the most expensive school because it was where they got accepted. Now they are thinking that vet school wasn't worth it at all. Be smart about your choices and you can be a vet and be happy.

• 1 month ago

If you enjoy working with pets and their owners, yes.  If you don't mind working with animal blood, urine and feces, yes.  Not everyone is cut out for that work but it helps to find a mentor or workstudy in the field before pursuing it as a career

• nt
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

They make plenty. But they spend 8 years in school. Which costs a lot if you borrow.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Plan on working a lot of evenings/weekends unless you have your own practice and can pay people to do that for you. Weekends are when people want to go to the vet these days.

It's eight years of university to make 100k/year.

It's a very, very customer service oriented job. You have to please the pet owner. Dogs do not have credit cards.

Your run-of-the-mill small animal general practitioner spends 75% of their time with people in the exam room or on the phone with people. Only about 25% is spent actually doing surgery, dentistry or treatments.

Just like in many other industries, the big fish are eating up the little fish. Many, many practices are owned by corporate chains these days. It's really hard to start and run your own practice unless you are independently wealthy and would rather be a business manager than a vet.

Source(s): 27 years in the field...
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Some are going to do well. As with any business, one will do better if they have paying clients and not deadbeat loser customers who refuse to pay their bills. It may also depend on where one's business is located.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.