Can I go to jail if his mom calls the police just for me staying a few nights at their house?

My boyfriend and I are both 18 and he still lives in his mother’s apartment, but she has been in a nursing home for nearly two years.

I decided to stay a few nights over (in a row) and now his mom says if I stay the night over there again, she will call the police. What could happen and can she do that?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

If u have personal belongings there(some clothes hung up) and a piece of mail you can show the officer, the officer will tell his Mom she needs to go through the proper eviction process w/the court and that you have a legal right to be there. Fact. If you do not have any of those things, when the cops arrive, someone needs to en site that says they dont want u there. Your boyfriend could easily say he's on the lease and his Mom is off her rocker which is why she's not there. So, in that scenario, nothing. People have the law confused. U can call the police just because u get mad, but there needs to be an illegal act to arrest you. There first time out isnt going to lead to you being arrested as #1, you were welcomed in, did not break in. Even trespasssing requires some type of warning, hence the "no trespassing" signs. As long as your boyfriend keeps letting u in and she remains away, police will tell her it is a civil matter(money/court) not legal(criminal/court).

• Karen
      Lv 5
      7 months agoReport

I never take legal advice from someone who doesn't know the difference between there and they're and their. A person in a residence without the owner's/renter's consent CANNOT BE A TENANT. A resident HAS PERMISSION FROM THE OWNER. Where did you go to law school?

• Mozo
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Jail or Juvie, off you go.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Unless she has evidence that you broke in all the police could do is make you leave the premises.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

I don't believe your bf has lived alone since he was 16.

But let's pretend I believe you. If her name is on the lease you are trespassing.

Yes, she can call the Police. A person NOT on the lease cannot "invite" people into an apartment owned by another person.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

IGNORANT NONSENSE, BF is a legal resident and has a legal right to overnight guests

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Mom goes into nursing home when your bf is 16 and she keeps paying rent on the apartment where her minor child lives alone for two years?

You're so full of shiit your eyes are brown.

• 7 months ago

depends on the lease. most landlords require anyone over adult age [is that 18 in your state? it is 19 in some] to sign the lease and be responsible for the rent. If your bf did that, then he has right to have guests as permitted in the lease, just as much as his mother does, and you're good. While she could call the police, they'd decline to be involved as it is a civil matter.

if your bf is not on the lease, it is technically her apartment, not his, and she'd be within her rights to ban you from staying overnight. then if she calls police, you are trespassing and can be removed.

of course, she'd have to know you are there to call .... calling afterward would accomplish nothing as police would likely treat as a civil or family matter

Source(s): grampa
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

No chance . This is domestic not a crime, the police will not be interested.

• don r
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You can be removed as an unwanted guest. If you make a scene, that might get you arrested for trespassing and disturbing the peace.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

nope, you're both 'adults' & he invited you ..........................

• 7 months ago

You were invited.

• naughtydogg70
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

The mother doesn't physically live there. Nobody is arresting her if the cops show up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.