Why are people “proud” to be their ethnicity?

I’ve always found the concept kind of stupid I understand of being proud of who your are, and your ethnicity being a part of that, but I feel like being proud your a certain ethnicity or you feel special because of it is dumb. I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with it, but I don’t feel proud or special of something that I was just born with, I feel proud of the things I do and accomplish in life and actually hold merit.

• 1 year ago

A lot of people are racist or look down on people of different ethnicities and I think being proud is a way of saying that they aren't ashamed of being born that ethnicity. It's kind of a way of saying "you can not like my ethnicity but I will not feel bad for it because I can't change it."

1 year ago

I'm Puerto Rican 😍🇵🇷

• 1 year ago

Because its what defines you. You should be proud of what you are. I am proud of my white ancestors that accomplisht so much.

• Foofa
    1 year ago

Yes, race and ethnicity, along with gender, shoe size, eye color and dominant hand are all just accidents of birth that no one should be "proud" of. Be proud if you're of an historically oppressed minority group but have managed to be successful anyway. But coming out of your mother a particular hue is merely life. Accomplishments are really all that matter.

• Zirp
    1 year ago

because in some ways, my native language is better than yours

• 1 year ago

That may be all they have to feel good about.

• A.J.
    1 year ago

Somehat true and correct, but don't mix up race and ethnicity. Ethnicity is cultural, race is physical. There is overlap, but ethnicity can be changed to some extent.

• Mark
    1 year ago

Sane people who are "proud" are actually "glad". But there ARE some insane people who actually ARE literally "proud" of their ethnicity, which is like saying "I'm proud to breathe". Especially insane people think "MY ethnicity is better than YOURS".

• 1 year ago

Every creature and every human is tribal, Go to a football match, politics religious cultures, family divisions,international sports, and so on.

1 year ago

White