Does Reading, UK, have an accent? If so, is there a phonetic example?

I have been having a debate with my friend who thinks that people from Reading, UK, have an accent but having looked online I can't seem to find anything personally. Can anyone help with phonetic proof please?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I live in London and accents are changing all the time. Here's a link which you may find interesting.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/articles/20...

• 1 year ago

Everyone has an accent no matter where you from

• 1 year ago

Everyone has an accent.

• RR
    1 year ago

I moved to Reading for a while. The first thing I noted was that the "ow" sound was replaced by an "ay" sound.

eg. "I am going down town." would be, "I am going dayn tayn."

• 1 year ago

EVERYONE has an accent.

You do not hear yours.

Most cannot specify an individual city /town/.village accent. A linguist that studies accents can.

• Maxi
    1 year ago

Everyone has an accent, regardless of where they livein the UK abd accents can change every few miles,so people who lives on side of the city could speak differently to those who live on the other side

• 1 year ago

Ricky Gervaise is from Reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpJrmI_yc4A

Youtube thumbnail

Apparently there are two accents - one with a slight country burr and the other is more like London. It is a less obvious accent than other places as the London "estuary English" is taking over.

• Carson
    1 year ago

They all have accents. Towns 5 miles apart can have different types. Some They have to slow down so you can understand them

They use words that we don't like 'knackered ' for tired. Pharmacy is the chemist. Not the store, ' the shop'. Nip means Stop by. They don't call in the phone. They ring.

• Herenya1 year agoReport

Ignoring accents for a moment the only terminology I have found specific to Reading so far is that regular sized rizlas (not the long ones) were known as diddy skins when I was in school many years ago