Anon asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 7 months ago

Tips on preventing from getting hit by a vehicle while cycling?

Today, I was biking on my way home at dusk on a foggy day. I got home as it was about to get really dark. But on my way home, I saw a woman who got hit by a car (she was going northbound, and I'm assuming she got hit as the car was approaching from the left on a small intersection. I just saw her arguing with her bike and stuff on the ground). She's alright, but she got into a huge argument and saying she could've almost got killed and how the driver did not see her (I don't blame her for being angry). She wasn't seriously injured. I stood a distance away, but upon observing, she only had a reflective vest on and no helmet or lights from what I saw. I've heard from some people say that reflective vests are more effective in the night than headlights, but I doubt that. Then the police came, but after seeing that, it got me all shooked and got me wondering, what If I was that person who almost got hit. Are there any helpful tips on how to prevent on such incident?

Update:

I also want to point out another story. At midnight around 12. When a bus was going right along a big intersection on a busy road northbound (the light was green), another bus came out of nowhere from the left (the light was red), and at full speed, slammed right into the bus and crashed into a pizza shop, destroying it...

Update 2:

...That same busy road is the same road that I always bike at all the time. I don't doubt that this could've also happen at broad daylight, a bus, out of nowhere, slamming into you, regardless if you're walking, driving or cycling. Scary thought.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Ride predictably and assume nobody sees you. I twice had people run me off the road because they started making a right turn before they had completely passed me - I almost had to crawl in one guy's window as I was yelling at him.

If you *must* ride at night reflective vest, the brightest headlight you can buy, and one of those psychotic flashing taillights are mandatory... as is a good helmet (replace every 2-3 years). Avoid lit areas - your visibility relies on contrast.

If you don't have to ride at night, don't. I was in a club that put on three midnight rides in Tempe, Arizona, one year. I was one of 151 riders on the third ride; two never made it. They were hit by drunk drivers in well-lit areas. One was walking her bike over the Tempe bridge when a car jumped the high curb and struck her, breaking her neck. She died before sunrise. The other one also suffered a broken neck but survived - I never heard how she made out.

• rick
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It's legal to kill cyclists in the USA. It an be a very blatant and deliberate act, and it's still OK. All you have to do is say "I didn't see him/her". Over 40+ years, I've put several hundreds of thousands of miles in bicycles. I'll share some observations. The higher fuel costs go, the more aggressive motorists get toward cyclists!! The closer you ride to the right edge of the road, the closer cars will come to you! Visibility seems to be the key. BRIGHT flashing lights show up. Light clothing shows. A cyclist will NEVER win a right-away dispute with a car, no matter WHO is right. Assume at all times, that you are invisible. Ride a straight line. Be predictable. Be conscious of all traffic at all times. I've had some close calls, but never got hit.

• 7 months ago

Ride paranoid. They really are out to get you!

• Erik
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Wear something with blinking red lights, and a helmet with a camera on top. If you REALLY want to be safe don't ride a bike.

• Lv 5
      7 months agoReport

Those waiting at bus stops have been Hit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Why would you be so stupid to bike on a heavily traveled road in low light in foggy conditions ??? Bikers I know seem to dare car drivers to hit them. Maybe all that exercise depletes your brain of oxygen and makes you stupid.

• Lv 5
      7 months agoReport

Bicycles, like like cars, are often only means of transport. Like in Europe, SE Asia. Not just a Sunday ride in ideal weather on a bike path. Oughta see my folding bike all fully packed with the saddle bags and parcel tray and all.

• not
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There are studies into this problem. Many people don't see bikes, motorcycles or pedestrians. The answer is more driver training. That won't happen so you have the responsibility to stay away from cars, to pay attention for them.

• not
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

The excuses don't hold up and do hold up. "Accident" is the primary excuse. As if skills and paying attention would not stop crashes from happening. The social norm is accident, not my fault, I don't need to change. Therefore you must defend yourself.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

just dont ride at night

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

Pedal bike, motor bike, whatever. You are a cockroach -- no one likes you. Most ignore you, some avoid you, some try to hit and kill you. Your job is to see and avoid everyone else.

• 7 months ago

Advice I heard was "drive like everyone around you is flat out crazy!"

• Lv 5
      7 months agoReport

Ride like UR invisible and expect the Stupidest moves outa cagers--they won't "disappoint " you and you will be prepared for their crap .

• Bright / reflective safety clothing / sash

Bright flashing red or yellow LED lights on front and back

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.