Tips on preventing from getting hit by a vehicle while cycling?

Today, I was biking on my way home at dusk on a foggy day. I got home as it was about to get really dark. But on my way home, I saw a woman who got hit by a car (she was going northbound, and I'm assuming she got hit as the car was approaching from the left on a small intersection. I just saw her arguing with... show more Today, I was biking on my way home at dusk on a foggy day. I got home as it was about to get really dark. But on my way home, I saw a woman who got hit by a car (she was going northbound, and I'm assuming she got hit as the car was approaching from the left on a small intersection. I just saw her arguing with her bike and stuff on the ground). She's alright, but she got into a huge argument and saying she could've almost got killed and how the driver did not see her (I don't blame her for being angry). She wasn't seriously injured. I stood a distance away, but upon observing, she only had a reflective vest on and no helmet or lights from what I saw. I've heard from some people say that reflective vests are more effective in the night than headlights, but I doubt that. Then the police came, but after seeing that, it got me all shooked and got me wondering, what If I was that person who almost got hit. Are there any helpful tips on how to prevent on such incident?
Update: I also want to point out another story. At midnight around 12. When a bus was going right along a big intersection on a busy road northbound (the light was green), another bus came out of nowhere from the left (the light was red), and at full speed, slammed right into the bus and crashed into a pizza shop,... show more I also want to point out another story. At midnight around 12. When a bus was going right along a big intersection on a busy road northbound (the light was green), another bus came out of nowhere from the left (the light was red), and at full speed, slammed right into the bus and crashed into a pizza shop, destroying it...
Update 2: ...That same busy road is the same road that I always bike at all the time. I don't doubt that this could've also happen at broad daylight, a bus, out of nowhere, slamming into you, regardless if you're walking, driving or cycling. Scary thought.