Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 8 months ago

Can I get a debit card in a foreign country? (UK)?

I plan on going to London in December and plan to oder stuff online. But I don't want to use my debit/credit card. Is there Any where, where I can take my foriegn currency and The place Can put that amount on a card for me to use during my visit? Or would I have to stick to using my actual debit card and dealing with the currency change when using it or the transaction fee?

5 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    Your bank will no doubt offer pre paid cards, visa do, MasterCard do. You can load it with your currency and sometimes the exchange rate will be better.

  • DIEGO.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    mind the gap.

  • 8 months ago

    You can't get a debit card in the UK unless you're a resident in the UK

    So stick with your card

  • pmt853
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    It's likely to be cheaper and easier to use your existing card as you'll lose out on exchange rates and have to waste time getting, or seeking, a new card. Banks usually take a couple of weeks to send out cards so you can't just get one over the counter.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

    I don't know if this is the type of thing you are thinking of, but the Post Office has a pre-paid money card.

    You will need to find a Post office which has currency exchange facilities - usually slightly larger branches - not those little ones in the back of shops.

    There is a branch finder on the link. Just put in the Post Code of the place you are staying and it will show your nearest Post Offices and what facilities they have.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.