Why do people call a fetus a baby when a fetus is not a baby?

Update:

A toddler is closer in age to a 60 year old in terms of development than a zygote is to an infant but yet there are people out there who consider zygotes as living breathing infants even they are not even developed, so can you give a reason and/or scientific evidence that a zygote is actually an infant without appealing to emotion or religion?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Because they're ignorant, or they want to manipulate you.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

If there were a simple factual answer to this, there would be no debate about abortion. It's precisely BECAUSE we can't give straightforward factual responses to all these questions that abortion is so very controversial.

• 1 year ago

Because a fetus is a baby.

• Suzy Q
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

But it IS an emotional term. And it's not exclusive to the pro-life crowd.

Nobody whose pregnancy is wanted calls it her zygote/embryo/fetus. They say 'my baby'.

Nobody who suffers a pregnancy loss says she lost her fetus. She says she lost her baby.

Even a woman choosing to have an abortion may say 'I'm not keeping this baby' or 'I can't have this baby'.

This common vernacular is not, in itself, pro-life propaganda. It is widely used outside the abortion debate. And yes, it's emotional. We recognize the potential of a fetus to become a baby, a person. That's a big deal. And I don't think we need to deny or downplay that potential in order to defend the right of woman to choose whether or not to carry a pregnancy to term.

• ...Show all comments
    • Suzy Q
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

And anyway, the abortion debate IS emotional. You can't take emotion out of it. You feel strongly about women's right to bodily integrity. So do I. Pro-lifers feel strongly about the sanctity of human life. And the two groups usually disagree about when a fetus can be called a human life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

I find it interesting that very few people ever refer to the correct stage of development.

During the first few weeks, it isn't even a fetus yet - it is an embryo. But no one, not even abortion rights people, ever refer to the embryo state - they all go straight to the fetus stage.

Now - WHY do people call a fetus a baby - It IS an emotional response when people call their "fetus" a "baby". It is because the people who WANT the BABY never see it as anything other than a baby. Even when a natural miscarriage happens early in pregnancy - they don't say "I lost the fetus". They say "I lost the baby".

It is also awkward to talk about the pregnancy in terms of "fetus". You NEVER hear a woman say "the fetus was fine at my eight week exam even though it is still a "fetus" at eight weeks. She is already looking ahead to the final stage of actually having that baby.

It is the people who don't want the baby that can make the comments about "it is just a fetus" or it was just the "embryo". And sure, at that stage in development, it could not survive out side of the womb. BUT THAT IS THE NATURAL ORDER OF DEVELOPMENT. That is how nature made the reproductive system work.

One last thing - when left alone to develop naturally - at what point will the human fetus NOT develop into a human baby?...........you can't answer that one any better than anyone else has failed to not have an emotional response to this question.

@ Illuminati - you can come here and comment "loser" all you want to. Calling a fetus a baby IS an EMOTIONAL response for anyone who actually loves children and wants the baby they are carrying.

@ Illuminati - there is NO POINT during the human pregnancy that the development will become anything besides a human baby - that IS a FACT. Therefore, a fetus becomes a baby in the same way a baby becomes a toddler, then a child, then a teen and then an adult. If you want to start arguing this point - then you could justify terminating a child because they aren't an adult yet.

• It's a baby when it is born. So you are admitting that no one can give rational explanation as to why they think a fetus is a baby. That it is merely emotional. Emotions don't make good arguments, buddy.

• helene
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You cannot compare a zygote and a fetus. That's terribly dishonest.

A fetus is at least nine weeks and has all systems in place. And guess what it looks like? A baby.

• 1 year ago

Fetus is a life stage, like Teenager or Senior Citizen.

Baby is another term for a child in the womb, like child is another term for a Toddler, or a Grade Schooler.

There is no question that human beings are alive from the moment of conception - all of us grow, change, and develop through all stages of life.

• 1 year ago

Nobody says, "I'm pregnant with a beautiful little fetus." Usually it's people who don't care that much about life that are determined NOT to call a fetus a baby. It's easier to abort a fetus. [In their minds]

• 1 year ago

You were a fetus and a baby at one time.

• Appealed to emotion. You lose

• 1 year ago

So they can claim they love the children when they actually love the fetus but hate the baby.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.