Does smoking marajuana cause permanent damage to your brain?

Is it reversible once you quit? Can the brain heal?

• Fred
    Favorite Answer

Yes apparently it does. If you quit you will find your brain improving but it will never be as good as it would have been if you had never smoked weed. Any sort of recreational drug including weed can cause mental illness as well and many weed and recreational drug users end up suffering mental illness that will never fully go away even if you quit using it.

Pure marijuana? No.

Common drug abuser additives mixed with pure marijuana, like meth, PCP? Yes--smoking laced marijuana sharply runs high risks of permanent neurological damage and brain damage.

I can never understand people's focus on self-abuse quest to attain that high.

Its lies mAn i smoke it evryday matter fact im more way smarter now then before .i read my ucles mind one time man

the use of marijuana has proven to drop you iq by around 7 points. so yeah, it does.

yes it does.

No it's nontoxic, but people conflate it and confuse it with crack and meth which are poisons and do injure the brain. Incidentally, Legal Booze distilled by legitimate Rich people in Their legal distilleries CAN cause brain damage.

It could..... ?

I use CBD but not much of a smoker. Never was. My ex boyfriend smoked it daily and his short term memory was shot. Plus he was anxious and depressed, and apathetic. I have known a few life-long chronic pot smokers like this... and i'm not young

No way, man! I have been an engineer at NASA since 1968. Except for that Challenger and Columbia thing, I've been real cool. Oh yeah, the Apollo 13 thing, it as just a damn switch I forgot to upgrade. That's all, honest. I'm cool.

• Paul10 months agoReport

What are you implying?

• kelvin

no it doesn't

• kelvin

than i must be brain dead

• Will

Yes, but not instantly. It takes at least two years of heavy and frequent usage to start taking a toll on your brain before certain regions begin to show signs of problems.