Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Dining OutOther - Dining Out · 7 months ago

US Tipping Guidelines at a Buffet. What are some guidelines for tipping a waitress at a Buffet restaurant. It appears their only job is to?

bring drinks, and clear the dishes.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Best Answer

You could follow the other tippers at the restaurants and see how much they tip

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Blind leading the blind. You don't have to tip anything at a buffet restaurant, or at any other restaurant.

• 4 months ago

Guidelines: Tips are always optional. You never tip people who don't actually serve you. In a buffet, you are serving yourselves. Any robot can bring you drinks and clear the table. You don't tip robots.

• james
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

How is the service? You tip for that.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If they bring our drinks I tip $2 per person, if they don't bring our drinks I tip $1 per person.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • $2 - $3 a person. You are right. They aren't doing all the work of a regular waiter/waitress, so the typical 15-20% is unnecessary.

• 7 months ago

General rule is between 15-20% of the total bill. 15% being standard and 20% being excellent service. Generally, a buffet will be around $15 per head plus the cost of a fountain drink which may be $1-2.

So at 15%, you are socially obligated to tip around $3. I generally tip around $5 if the service wasn't terrible.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Why would you tip ANYTHING for the absolute minimal service that you get at a buffet? They are all making at least minimum wage, which is far more than the value of any work they do in contact with the customers.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Many restaurants include the tip automatically . This means that You may be tipping twice . It should be stated on the Menu If not ask beforehand .

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

There is no restaurant that "includes the tip automatically". That would be fraud. Fraud is a crime. They would soon go out of business when the owners are in prison.

• 7 months ago

43 pennies

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.