Former Atheists, what made you to believe in the Christian God?

Favorite Answer

I definitely did NOT start believing in Christianity. Yuck. In fact, me rejecting that..? Was arguably the biggest reason for me becoming an atheist, to begin with! So maybe it makes sense that, in order for me to cease being an atheist, I needed to find what my soul always needed, spiritually speaking, that was NOT that..?

Still, to this day, basically..? If you presented me with only two options, namely Christianity vs. atheism, I would always and invariably choose atheism! Because Christianity neither works for me nor makes sense to me! It is basically EVERYTHING that my soul, my heart, and my mind, aren't. It's like trying to force a peg into a wrongly shaped hole... So my whole spiritual journey..? Was very much about finding out that there was something else, that was NOT that! But that also wasn't atheism! Except.. not so much as some kind of theoretical, hypothetical, intellectual *possibility*. Because.. that doesn't really do much, for me. Like Rufus very accurately summed it up..? I needed to actually, directly experience that thing, for myself!

..I had rational reasons for my atheism, too. And still find many atheist arguments to be quite convincing, and make many good points. So trying to INTELLECTUALLY convince me of something, spiritually or religiously speaking..? Just plain would NOT have worked. Even if you presented, say, Buddhist philosophy to me, for instance..? The best thing you might have achieved is: you might have gotten me to somewhat openly consider it, as perhaps NOT being totally ridiculous... (Except that might have been tricky, too. Because I was also a very strong anti-theist, skeptic, materialist, etc, during my atheist years!) Regardless, though..? That would not have actually made me BELIEVE in it. It would have been nothing but a somewhat fascinating hypothetical. That I'd consider, and then mostly forget about, due to a lack of personal experience with it.

Then again, even though I was trying my absolute hardest back then to be a DIEHARD f*cking skeptic..? I don't think I was, really. Not deep down, anyway. Seems like the deepest part of my nature, as a human being..? Is to go by, and be open to, personal experience! Including deep spiritual experience... And.. then I started dabbling with high doses of psychedelics! And that actually freaking HAPPENED to me! And.. you know the drill... My reality was never really the same again, after that. And I embraced it. Because it was an infinitely better reality, for me, than the one I left behind! And.. I still feel that connection, seven years later, in my day-to-day life! Without really having to make any sort of effort at ALL! So.. I just roll with it. While also admitting that I COULD potentially be wrong, and it COULD potentially be all in my head, of course. Because I'm still honest like that...

I think it's also partially down to preference, to be honest. Like: I love my current reality, and my current sense of spirituality. I'm a lot happier now than I was as an atheist. And just.. my soul is very much in love with all these deeply beautiful, boundless, sacred, infinite things, that I can't even word.. Or prove.. to anyone... So it really doesn't matter much to me, if that's purely "rational" or not. It's like.. I can't deny who I am, and that deepest part of me. Which is ALL about that place. No matter if it's real, or mental, or objective, or subjective, or a little bit of everything, or... whatever the heck it is!! I just go with the path that is my life, and keep on opening myself to all that Love, more and more. <3

..Or you could say: "Case study 1..? Took a bunch of weird chemicals to the brain, and just thoroughly messed herself up." LOL... Probably I would have said that, too. Back in the days. But I don't really care. Like I said. :-P

• Nine Lives

Good morning, my dear Amay and thank you for sharing your experience.
      I also wonder that people can be lured in religion without questioning and research. Feel free to email your experiences with helpful drugs. I thought about DMT but my current job does not allow mind enlarging substances.

"Evidence Demands a Verdict"

A serious head injury.

None of us are born theist, theism is usually taught but for those who were not taught and later in life became a Christian, it was never based on Christianity having a case for itself but rather the "feeling" these individuals gained from knowing other Christians and hearing about people's lives changing dramatically for the better after becoming supposedly saved. In just about every experience I have had with adults turning to Christianity later in life, it was always out of desperation to fix problems in their own life. While I do know some personal success stories where the person did turn their life around, most end up realizing that Christianity is no magic pill but if they are lucky, they now have a supportive Christian family to help ease the pain of their struggles. Not all Churches have this kind of support. Most Christians I personally know never really read the whole bible and mostly dabble in parts of the bible because truthfully the bible is not why they are Christians, it's the community that keeps them Christian, which isn't a bad thing at all. The primary goal is to feel better about yourself and belonging to a community who attempts to be accepting and help others is a great way to do this.

Booze

We are all born atheists ( without believe in a god an a religion). Then little by little parents with the baptism ( for the christians), force them to believe in a guy floating in the sky and living on the clouds. It's always the one they have chose for them ( of course).

Only religious believers can be ' former atheist ', the opposite is not possible.

Nice try anyway, but it will work only for people who have been conditioned to believe in a religion and to have an imaginary friend.

I think you should be wary of people who claim to be "former atheists".

They give themselves away after their "conversion" by claiming atheists are "angry at God" or "reject Jesus so that they can sin" or other such nonsense. They let slip that these (and similar misunderstanding of what atheism is) were the reasons they were an atheist.

Of course there are a few genuine atheists who became believers, and it should be noted that we were all born atheists, so every theist was a 'former atheist"!

Source(s): I need coffee
  • Lôn

Epiphany.

• mimi

😲 This is a question I haven't seen before! I'm about to go to bed but I hope there are good answers in the morning.

• Nine Lives

I know, there are some former Atheists here but I really cannot figure out what they turned to religion.

There are two types of atheists:

Those who figured out why they are atheist. (ex Francis Collins)

Those who never put much thought into it.(ex Kirk Cameron)

The former become believers usually from a personal experience (ex Francs Collins). You'd be hard pressed to get any of these to believe because someone said "Jesus loves you" or "Let me tell you about Fatima...." They probably already read the Bible, so quoting it won't work, either.

For that, you'd have to move to the second group who is more susceptible to preaching and peer pressure (ex Kirk Cameron) But which also includes those who would need a personal experience, the cheap theatrics won't work.

• Buddy

Did you mean there are two types of FORMER atheists?

Anyway, Collins (according to his own description) became a Christian after a "leap of faith" when he saw a frozen waterfall during a hike on a fall afternoon.

Maybe not cheap theatrics but frozen waterfalls aren't exactly credible evidence.