Sailors, is there a difference between bridge and wheelhouse?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

The bridge is the command and control position for the entire ship. A wheelhouse a part of a boat or ship serving as a shelter for the person at the wheel. It's often a question of scale as to which term is used.

If the wheel is located in a place other than on the bridge then yes. The sloops used by the Royal Navy's escort groups during the battle of the Atlantic for example, had a wheelhouse directly below their small bridge.

If the wheel is on the bridge, for example in a larger vessel such as a container ship, then the term 'wheelhouse' simply becomes redundant.

• ?

Here's the long answer:

We have a speedboat that is older than I am. I'm nearly 80. How does it work, you ask?

Well, everything on it is busted. Only things that work: speedometer, motor. kind of. to start it, you have to rev the engine. gas smell like crazy. need gas? I dunno. Mom, when's the last time we got gas? just have to remember or otherwise you're out in open water, ******. we've gotten good at remembering though. I've been going up there every year since I was 7 or 8 and we've never run out of gas in the middle of the lake.

Grandpa bought it secondhand in '99. Don't know how much he paid for it. As far as I know, he has not put a single dollar into repairs. That thing is like a cockroach. it will never die. the seats are actually in pretty good shape. only minor peeling/cracking. the carpet on the bottom of the boat (this thing has like, fuzzy carpeted flooring) is slightly coming up. idk what grandpa does but it's in good condition still. fabric roof/cover thing rattles but is firmly attached. radio busted. headlights work though! we have lake police who will give you tickets for that kind of thing.

Grandpa takes care of it though. we cover up the seats with towels to keep them from being baked by the sun. it sits in its slip in the dock and and is tethered so it doesn't rock and hit the dock (dock has rubber siding so even when it does hit, it just bounces off). everyone who drives is has been driving it since we were kids. we were all taught how to drive the boat before we had a license to drive a car (illegal as hell but it was a rite of passage in our family). it only comes out in the summer and otherwise is housed in their boathouse up their driveway.

I genuinely don't know how that thing is still alive. it's been a staple in our lives for 20+ years. should we name it?

• zeno

Depends on the ship. They may be in two

separate places in some cases. Im not sure

What submarines have used since they were

Invented.

yes.