random asked in PetsBirds · 8 months ago

Are hummingbirds dangerous?

At my home I have flowers that hummingbirds seem to like a lot. I probably see about 50 per day Sometimes they fly really fast only a few feet away from me. Also, one time I was approaching the flowers where one of them was and it just looked at me and was chirping loudly. I walked about 3 feet next to it and it didnt move. I was wondering if it might be thinking about attacking me, so I walked away from it.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Not at all, I have lots of hummers around my place and they are downright friendly!! Just keep feeding them and they literally learn to love you.

• 8 months ago

No, not at all.

They are very belligerent and will chirp angrily at you and might even buzz you if they thing you are invading their territory, but they are not dangerous.

I have large flowing vines that are decades old on the fence around my back yard. I have at least three hummingbird nests in the yard and the three hummers who live there will chase each other and buzz me if I am in the back. One of them will sit on a tree branch just a couple feet away from me and scold me as I move around the yard. They also tend to chase away the larger birds and will also scold my dogs.

• 8 months ago

No, not even. some I have around are so enthusiastic for their feeder, they come right to my hand to drink.

For me, it is the J-birds that swoop and tag your head, often drawing blood. Very protective of their nest territory.

• 8 months ago

No they are not only will attack if they are guarding a nest or feel threatened

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Well....maybe if you accidentally swallowed one.

• 8 months ago

LOL are you SERIOUS? No they're harmless. They will dive bomb other hummingbirds to defend their territory but are COMPLETELY harmless to humans. You're lucky to have so many of them around!

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

i dont think so, ive been around birds and theyve never bothered rne any

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

They usually don’t attack humans unless feeling threatened

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

nope, unless you're ANOTHER Hummer trying to steal their territory ............. they can be VERY territorial. they will also hover right in front of my GF's face IF she lets the feeder go dry !!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.