Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 8 months ago

Senior Citz. had you ever heard the term gender dysphoria when you were in secondary school?

In U.K. many are pushing for gender neutral toilets in schools and public places. How is it that we never needed such things when we were kids? What has happened to society to make many think that these are actually needed now?

If many people had this condition back then (but as a non-named problem and having no help) how is it that the asylums were not bursting at the seams with people unable to cope with life?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

I was born in 1945 and didn't hear the term until I was well over 59.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Ât nėârly 30 I have not heard this trm

used before you posted this qustion sounds

made up as if it's not even a rėâl wôrd.

• Kenzie
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No I was around 20 when I first heard of that concept.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

We now live in a world populated by freaks and, many of us would be breaking the law if we say anything negative about the majority of these freaks. We are meant to be lovey-dovey and say that all in this world is sweet and lovely and that the only freaks are those who won't accept all this rubbish being foisted upon us. I'm glad that I'm as old as I am and will not have suffer it for much longer but do fear for the next generations who are going to have to cope with the most ridiculous idiocy every imagined. The freakishness we have to live with now is just the tip of the iceberg.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tigger
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Back in our day people just accepted their differences of hid them.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

it was one of those things people didn't SPEAK about.

there were no internet, or portable phones, or MMR vaccines, or gay marriage. Heck, if your spouse raped you it wasn't even illegal. And to get a divorce you needed to "prove" battery or cheating

• Piero
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

In the USA, in San Diego CA, we have several office buildings with gender neutral rest rooms. No one really notices. Most new restaurants that open, have gender neutral rest rooms. "Trader Joe's" has had gender neutral rest rooms for years!!! What's the problem?? Do YOU want to stick your head under stall doors doors and peek? You STILL won't see anything!!!

• 8 months ago

It was around back then, not the word but the problem was but it was never spoken off.

How many people had spinster Aunties that just lived with (a friend) another woman, how many men used to live together just being "mates"

Many of those must have not just been homosexual but people living in the wrong body, but nothing could be done about it back then.

I don't believe in gender neutral toilets, I don't believe in not having the sex of a baby on it's birth certificate and i'm sure their were lots of suicides and people in Asylums that couldn't cope with the dilemma they were facing.

There was no social media or television back then, so most of us wouldn't of been aware of it.

Kids these days are way ahead of us on information, I had picked up my 11 year old granddaughter from school one day and she said, Elly (her best friend) and I are going to buy a house and live together when we grow up, I said that would be nice and then she said...... not as lesbians just friends... I couldn't believe I heard what she said, I was about 18 before i'd even heard of homosexuality.

• Kenzie
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

I was about 18 when my mom explained lesbians.

• 8 months ago

You write as if you are an older person but then say you don't know why we didn't hear about gender dysphoria when we were young. You must know as well as any oldie that plain old fashioned homosexuality was ILLEGAL, along with suicide and abortion, and feelings and emotions were brushed under the carpet of 'stiff upper lip'. Don't even mention gender dysphoria, because it certainly wasn't recognised openly then. I'm not saying I necessarily approve of today's bleeding heart society or that I think children should be encouraged in this until they have grown up, but the point is, we've had our turn at making the rules, and with some of them, we too made dreadful mistakes. Each generation gets a turn at deciding what goes and what doesn't in society, so why not just live and let live. I don't like 'gender neutral' toilets either. Men are so disgusting in their public toilet habits and the British are so filthy that nothing's kept clean, but I just have to navigate my way around that one and pee at home. For the rest I just smile and live my own life my way, and keep my nose out of the opinions and practices of younger people.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Nope. We had boys and girls. Period.

• Pompous Harris
      Lv 5
      7 months agoReport

I agree. Any deviation from this was considered to be a tomboy or a nancy boy poofta.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.