Lv 7
asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 years ago

why do some people have beautiful lawns, but have weeds growing in them? why they don't spray those weeds with broad leaf herbicide?

have noticed some lawns have a nice stand of thick fescue (like sod) but have chickweed, henbit, clover, and even dandelions, etc growing in them. why they don't see this as an eye sore?

why not spray them with broad leaf herbicide spray so their lawn can look as good as it can?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Because such herbicides get into our runoff systems and make their way to rivers and lakes, polluting as they go, our water treatment plants unable to deal with 100% of it, contributing vastly to algae blooms and other problems.

If I were starting over, I'd have only a patch of lawn, in back, for kids to play on, and the rest native plants rather than grass that cannot crowd out the weeds common to the area.

• james
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Weed killers are not good for your goats you use to keep the grass down. Also if no goats. Sprayed grass is hard to trade for goat milk & cheese when the goat herders come in & cut it for you when about knee high.

• 2 years ago

Why use more pesticides when they are not needed, keeping a pure stand of yard grass is not needed. The fertilizer used to keep the lawn green and growing is likely more dangerous to the environment than the herbicide used to kill the weeds but both have negative effects to one degree or another.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Poisons are bad. Bigger question is why people grow grass that is little use for feed. Why don't people grow alphalpha to feed wild rabbits instead?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

If its green, who cares? As long as it's mowed it's ok.

• 2 years ago

Three reasons. It is debatable that dandelions are ugly. Herbicides are dangerous to frogs/amphibians. All those chemicals cost money.

• Darby
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

My tortoise loves to munch on the weeds. Dandelions, clover, and wild violets are her favorites. I'd rather have a happy tortoise than a perfect lawn.

• 2 years ago

Some people have other priorities.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

afraid their cute little dog might get out their and lick the herbicide and die

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Because not everyone is as proud of their garden and lawn as you are.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.