Can you still get a virus if you don’t use the internet?

Can you get a virus without using the internet?

Can you only get a virus when you download things?

Can you get a virus by playing an already downloaded game online (RuneScape, Minecraft, steam games?)

Favorite Answer

Let me put this AS BLUNTLY AS POSSIBLE...

Unless you keep your computer in a practically isolated bubble, there is a perpetual risk of a virus getting onto your system through the usage of ANY REMOVABLE STORAGE MEDIUM OR CONNECTION. Even if you keep your system offline, if the removable storage mediums were used on a questionable system... there's a risk of getting infected with a virus.

Pardon the crude analogy, but the risk of a viral infection of your computer from outside sources is similar to your risk of getting an STD through sex... it only takes one bad occurrence.

If you want EXACT ANSWERS here...

1) YES, you can get a virus from any CD, DVD or USB storage device. Before the internet became mainstream, viruses were transmitted through floppies & CD/DVD's with infected files.

2) NO, SEE ANSWER ONE ABOVE...

3) Potentially, if you pick up any QUESTIONABLE MODIFICATIONS or unauthorized hacks for the game. If you keep to officially released content (from the game / service's official servers), you should be OK.

• Sandy8 months agoReport

Nonsense, hacks are perfectly safe, and most of the virus alerts are fake positives. If you're a moron and download from a shady place then yes, hacks will give you virus. That's like duh, use your brain.

I’m not sure but I do know that an .exe file can contain a possible virus.

Yes, I think you can

Yes, if you insert a disk or USB that has a virus attached.

Well, if the games are infected then YES.

Yes, you may have a virus even through a message

• Ian

I can give you HPV and herpes if you like

Yes. Viruses can be hidden in anything that connects to your computer. There is a story that during the Gulf War the F117 was not as stealthy as claimed because they stuck a virus program into printers, which were previously bought by Iraq and connected to their air defense computers. With the right trigger, the printers would dump the virus into the computers and shut them down. With the central control of their air defenses shut down, the F117 was able to fly in easily as the Iraqis had nothing available to fire. (May just be a story, they DID use Wild Weasels to shoot Iraqi air defense radars. That should not have been necessary if the Stealth actually worked.))

How the hell would I know? I am not a ******* computer expert. Reported for asking such a redundantly stupid question.

• Ričards8 months agoReport

I am sorry, but I should rather report YOU. If you do not know the answer, do not reply/answer. Plus, you swore and being rude.

Your question is confusing you say you don't use the internet and then you say you play games online - that would be using the internet.

If you do not have a virus and you do not connect to any other computer or put any new software or files onto your computer then you can not get a virus. However, if you are connected to the internet, put in a flash drive, download a file (any file), copy a file from someone else, or in any way put a file on your machine that wasn't there a minute ago you can get a virus.